11.5

Chapter 11.5

Amstelveen

03:01

Noelle plopped down on her bed, while Martijn took a chair and sat opposite her. After taking a very long nap, which turned into a full cycle of sleep, she felt a bit better. Sleep made everything better. Her head didn't throb as much anymore and her throat didn't hurt. 

She felt pretty shocked to have Martijn turn up at 3 in the morning, but she was happy about it. She couldn't sleep and there was nothing to do, especially at that time. With her side vision, she could see herself in the mirror on the open door of her wardrobe. 

She was wearing boyfriend jeans, because they were the most comfortable of all and a pastel blue pullover, with a line drawing of a dandelion on the chest. Actually, she wasn't dressed for Martijn - she never dressed for people and she liked it. She felt like she was independent and didn't care about people's opinion. To her, confidence was always key. 

And she felt confident wearing that. However, that didn't matter that much to her at the moment. The only thing that mattered, was the grey-eyeded boy, sitting on a chair right opposite her, observing her now-messy room. 

Smiling at him, she looked at the way his piercing eyes moved from one thing to another, like he was trying to remember every little detail of the room. Maybe he was, but Noelle couldn't understand why. It wasn't like this was the last time he was in her room. 

Getting up, she could feel Martijn's gaze turning to her straight away. She slowly and carefully walked towards her desk and stared at the papers on it, trying to find the one that she needed. It was right under the others, completely forgotten. Noelle realised, that she hasn't touched it for a very long time. 

"I bet you came here to check the lyrics," Noelle said, seriously. She grabbed the paper, turned around and walked back to her bed. Martijn didn't take his gaze away from her the whole time, as though he was waiting for her to trip or fall, so he could quickly get up and help her. 

"Actually, I didn't," Martijn replied, the serious expression in his face gradually morphing into a happy one, where he softly smiled at Noelle, who was taken aback by his words. Why would he even come here this late, if it wasn't for the song? "I just wanted to check on you." 

"Oh," Noelle mumbled under her breath, realising that she was wrong. She threw the paper on her bed, making herself even more comfortable. She smiled, "Okay, then." 

"I see you're feeling better now," Martijn noticed and Noelle slightly nodded. 

"Yeah, sleep makes everything better," Noelle joked and Martijn smiled. "How was school?"

"Umm, hard as always, I guess," Martijn answered, smirking. He glanced into the window, at the lonely stars that could be seen from it. They were the brightest of them all, the only ones to be seen from here. The closest of them all. 

"Stars," Noelle muttered quietly, noticing the way Martijn looked at the stars from her window. She herself was fascinated by their beauty, although most of them were probably nonexistent by now and it made her sad. It made her sad the way someone would wish upon a dead star, the one that is gone...

"So beautiful, yet so distant," Martijn finished her sentence, making her smile. It somehow comforted him, knowing that there were millions of other galaxies and billions of the shining stars. He wasn't alone in this world and no matter how large it will seem, it will always seem tiny compared to something else.