21

Chapter 21

Hilversum

11:02

"When Martijn sent us your track," Michael began, motioning to an open laptop in front of him, "we were impressed. Usually, we do not sign them straight away - it takes time, you see. First, we have to get to know them and their style. It usually takes the artist at least two or three songs to convince us that they are worthy of being signed." 

"However, your track impressed us and additionally with the fact that this is your debut track," he continued. "So, we will make an exception in our rules and you will get signed straight away." 

With the corner of her eye, Noelle could see Martijn smiling softly and politely. At first, she couldn't even realise how important this is to him, but now, it hit her. This is a pathway to building his career and it would be a pity if they did not succeed with this track because they've put so much effort into making it. 

Although it took them less than a year to make it, eight months was a long time to make a song, especially considering that it took two people to make it. Nevertheless, the result was worth it. Noelle couldn't wait until everyone heard it because they decided to keep the end-result a secret, at the end, revealing it as a surprise. 

This was a good strategy, Noelle thought. That way, it will hopefully bring everyone into a pleasant shock and create some hype around it. At the moment, the hype is what they needed, because that would make them popular and therefore - successful. 

She smiled at the thought of her dream finally coming true. When she first started out in music, she would have never thought that she would end up here. She would have never thought that she would meet Martijn and make a song with him and be sat here, in Spinnin' headquarters, being told that everyone likes their song. 

"May we ask what the procedures will be," Martijn asked, making Noelle snap right out of her daydreams back into reality, "when we get signed?" 

"Of course," Theun replied, handing them the contracts and a pen. "We will release the track after tomorrow, anonymously. After a period of time, around twenty to thirty hours, we will announce your names. I will be automatically assigned as your manager for the first two or three months, depending on how hard you will be working." 

"Some artists decided to go without a manager and that is understandable, so they are left with me, in case they need any help or decide to change their mind. We want to give artists as much freedom in their decisions as we can. If you decide to have a manager, you will have them assist you and help with any questions."

"When releasing new music, you will also have to talk to your manager and make sure they know your actions," he concluded. 

"And what will the ratio of the profits be?" Martijn wondered, taking the contract paper and putting it in front of him. 

"It is all on the contract," Michael said, motioning to the contracts. "Read them carefully and if you agree, you may sign them." 

Noelle nodded and began reading the official text, printed in small font on the piece of paper. There were many terms that did not worry her, such as the fact that she will not be allowed to release music under any other labels. However, there were some which she did not like, but had to deal with, like not being able to go on tour without receiving a yes from the management and a part of the money raised, going to Spinnin'.