17

Chapter 17

Amstelveen

09:01

Noelle woke up to the sound of somebody shuffling and shutting doors downstairs. She slightly sat up, rubbing her eyes. Her head throbbed badly, as she tried to look at her room. Falling back down, she closed her eyes. 

"I fucking hate this house!" Somebody exclaimed downstairs and Noelle guessed that it was obviously Emilia. Rolling her eyes, she threw back the covers and stepped onto the floor. When she got downstairs, she saw Emilia, wrapped in a blanket, frying something (that looked disgusting) in a pan. 

Noelle sighed, as she observed Emilia's failure at cooking. Although she herself wasn't a perfect chef, Emilia seemed to be probably the worst cook on earth. For a few moments, her sister wouldn't notice her standing in the doorway, but as soon as she did, there was no escape. 

"Noelle!" She shouted loudly, like she was in charge. "I need that wifi password. Give it to me right now or..." 

"Or what?" Noelle asked, clearly annoyed and rolled her eyes. 

"Or... or I will leave the house," Emilia finally came up with something, making Noelle exhale. It looked like her plan was already working, without even allowing her to make a move. That was easier than she thought. 

"Then go," Noelle responded quietly, pointing at the door. Emilia didn't move, standing in her place like she suddenly froze. Noelle raised one eyebrow, looking Emilia right into her eyes. When she realised that her sister won't leave, she came up to the frying pan and observed the delicious meal Emilia was able to prepare. 

Noelle sighed. Opening the fridge, she took out leftover oatmeal from yesterday and nearly threw it into the microwave, violently pressing the button. Emilia cautiously observed her actions and then looked into the frying pan. She quickly grabbed a spatula and attempted to turn over a pancake, but failed miserably as it nearly fell on the floor. 

Noelle sighed again. Emilia's attempts at cooking were extremely funny and she was sure that anything she would cook would be disgusting, or worse - inedible. When the microwave beeped loudly, Noelle, hopping happily, grabbed her breakfast and sat at the dining table, smirking at Emilia. 

While Noelle was silently indulging into her breakfast, Emilia clearly looked like she would burst open and destroy the whole kitchen. 

"Is there anything left for me too?" She finally asked, her voice quiet (which was surprising) and calm (and this was even more surprising). 

"I don't know," Noelle said, licking the spoon. "Go check it out." 

Emilia nodded and looked. There were only takeout boxes from yesterday and the day before. However, she had no choice - it was either to eat those or starve and Emilia wasn't really planning on doing that. 

Nearly throwing the paper boxes on the table, Emilia sat down opposite Noelle, who nearly finished eating. Slowly, she chewed on the noodles, which became stale and stinky from being in the fridge for too long. Rolling her eyes, she continued trying to eat them, but had no luck in that. 

Noelle observed that for a while, although when she finished eating, as quick as an experienced waiter, she put the plate into the sink and hurried to her room. Her head still throbbed, though food somehow reduced the pain and that was good, because after a week of being in the house with Emilia, all she had was headaches and urges to throw up (technically, she didn't - it was all from being too angry).