15

Chapter 15 

08:46

Amstelveen

A loud vibration made Noelle snap awake unpleasantly. Opening her eyes, she cringed at the warm rays of sun struggling to make it through the heavy curtains. Her phone was ringing on the coffee table beside her. Extending her arm from under the covers, she took it and stared for a few seconds on the screen, trying to figure out who was calling. 

It was an unknown number and it was American, which was very weird, since she had no friends or even relatives living in America. Except for one, but there was no way she was going to call Noelle. First of all, she would call their parents, but not Noelle. No way. 

Cancelling the call, Noelle put the phone down next to her and closed her eyes. She tried to fall asleep again, but it was one of those times when she just couldn't. Instead, she picked up her phone and began scrolling through it. 

Martijn was sleeping peacefully by her side, his eyelids closed and his dark-chestnut hair messily ruffled. Noelle smiled, tucking her hand under her chin and just looking at him, observing every part of him. She was never able to look at him that way - a person sleeping looked so much better than a person in real life.

He looked so much more natural - his skin smoother and his chest raising and lowering with every breath he took, so pacified and handsome. Noelle wanted to look at him forever or at least until he woke up, but couldn't. The phone rang, again. 

Getting out of bed, Noelle hurried into the kitchen, closing the door behind her. She answered the call, hoping that it wasn't a creep or a psychopath, who accidentally called the wrong person. 

"Hello?" She asked quietly, making sure that she didn't raise her voice, so that Martijn wouldn't wake up. 

"Noelle?" Said the other person on the line. It was a high-pitched, female voice and it was surprisingly familiar. "Is that you?" 

"Emilia!" Noelle exclaimed, but then closed her mouth with her hand, moving her gaze to the door. It was her older sister, she was in America at the moment, but why would she call Noelle? "Yes, it is me and why are you even calling me?" 

"Look, I'm flying to Amsterdam tomorrow and I already called mom - she said I can come," Emilia explained. "Can you pick me up tomorrow, like at seven in the morning?" 

Noelle cringed at her American accent, she hated it more than anything. However, most of all she hated Emilia. Pulling the closest kitchen-chair back, she sat on it. There was silence on both of the lines, because Noelle had nothing to say. She didn't want to pick Emilia up neither tomorrow, nor in a thousand years. 

"Uh, I have school tomorrow." That's what she came up with. 

"Isn't it Sunday tomorrow?" 

"Well, I have a rehearsal for a play."

"Ugh, Noelle," Emilia exclaimed loudly into the phone and Noelle winced. If only she could throw her iPhone into the wall, though it would produce too much noise and too much trouble for Noelle. "I can tell when you're lying. Take a taxi or a car or learn to drive, after all, and come pick me up. It's not like your life is mega-social - all you have is free time."