18

Chapter 18

Amstelveen 

15:06

"Hey Noelle," Julian waved at her and smiled, as she opened the door. 

"Um, Julian?" Noelle raised her eyebrow, wondering why he was here. "Hey, come in." 

"Thanks," he effortlessly dragged his feet against the floor into the house. "Nice house by the way." 

"Didn't really expect you to be here."

"I didn't either, until I saw the questions for that homework we were given in theory and so I thought that maybe you knew the answer."

"You could have just called me," Noelle shrugged, sitting down on the couch and motioning for Julian to do the same. 

"I was hanging out at Martijn's and since you were quite close, I decided to see you," Julian replied, falling back on the couch and making himself comfortable. He was always the one of good manners, but Noelle didn't mind - he was a friend. "He showed me the way here." 

"Oh." Noelle got up and gradually made her way to the stairs, while talking to Julian, "Well, I am expecting someone else, so can I maybe quickly show it to you and you can copy the answers?" 

She knew she would never do that, but she couldn't let Julian see Zac. It might cause some conspiracy theories about her and Zac and Noelle didn't want that. Although she knew that Julian was a trustworthy friend, after all, Martijn was his best-friend and she was sure Julian would tell him everything and that meant the end. 

So, she had to think fast and act accordingly. Running to fetch the piece of paper from her room, she could hear another car pulling up just in front of her house. Whether it was Zac, Emilia or both, it was not good news at the moment. 

As she snatched the homework from her bag and rushed downstairs, her heartbeat accelerated with every move she made. 

"Here," she threw the paper to Julian. "Look, I am actually really busy and have no time. Can I maybe FaceTime you later?" 

"Sure," Julian smiled again at her and got up, "hit me up when you're free." 

"I will, don't worry." 

Julian exited the house, slamming the door behind his back. From the gap that he opened when he was leaving, she could see a car she didn't know. Maybe it was just the neighbour's guests or just a random person decided to park here. She silently prayed it wasn't Zac or Emilia. 

After a few minutes of waiting and no ringing of the doorbell, she exhaled from relief and suddenly wished that she didn't dismiss Julian in such a rushed manner, even though he came without telling her that he would. Sitting down on the couch, she placed her arms on her legs and stared at the clock on the wall opposite. 

About half an hour passed after Zac texted her to wait and she was beginning to worry. After all, she did not quite know what was going to happen, she was only guessing. However, she didn't have to wait for long - the doorbell rang and she was up on her feet like an alarmed cat, woken up from a doze. 

Opening the door, she silently exhaled from relief and smiled, glad to see the person she was expecting to be finally here.