3

Chapter 3

Utrecht 

10:04

"Okay, class," the teacher said, waiting for the class to calm down. There weren't a lot of them, about five or six and Noelle found it great, because everyone would have a turn in answering and participating, unlike in her old school. "I will give out the lyrics to this song and I would like you to sing the part, where it says your name. Simple as that." 

Noelle got the lyrics and it turned out to be one of her favourites, which she knew by heart - Somebody That I Used To Know. To her surprise, she got her least favourite part, which she found really hard to focus on and get the notes correct. The music began and everyone started singing their part, one by one. With every second, Noelle dreaded her turn and wished time would pass slower. 

However, her turn came and without any doubt or hesitation, Noelle began singing the words, concentrating on the notes and secretly hoping, that it would be alright. Her eyes were focused on the piece of paper, to avoid everyone else's glances. She just continued singing, like she did in her bedroom, just for herself. 

And she loved it. She loved the feeling of music inside her, she loved the feeling of vibrations of her voice coming from her stomach and out of her mouth, going up and down. She loved the energy, which she had never experienced before and most of all, she loved this song, the music, the lyrics, the way her voice fit in.  

She hated to finish her part, but was relieved, that she made it and everything was fine. Exhaling with relief, she turned to the window, from which you could see the corridor and noticed a familiar face, staring at her with a very intimidated face-expression. She shook her head. No, it couldn't be. Martijn Garritsen was listening to her singing? What did he find in her singing? 

She didn't feel, that she sang beautifully or perfectly. Her voice didn't feel beautiful, just alright and she sometimes didn't hit notes or did a mistake. What was so intimidating about her singing? Instead of overthinking, she turned around and listened to the others sing the rest. She was thoroughly confused. 

After the lesson ended, she said goodbye to her teacher and rushed out of class to her locker. After two long and tiring periods, it was finally break time and Noelle really wanted to chat to Rina and have something to eat, because she was starving. Coming up to her locker, she noticed Rina trying to stuff her guitar case into her locker. 

"Hey," she greeted Noelle, after finally being able to successfully put her guitar case inside. "How was vocal practise?"

"It was great," Noelle replied, smiling and opening her locker. She put in some folders and books and then, took out some notebooks for her next classes. "Shall we go eat?" 

"Yes, I am super hungry," Rina said, shutting her locker door loudly and throwing the keys inside her backpack. 

"Me too," Noelle agreed and they headed to the cafeteria, taking a tray and standing in the line. As always, Noelle grabbed a sandwich and some water, while Rina decided to take something different - a caesar salad and coffee, which she normally doesn't drink. 

After paying for their food, they headed to their favourite table near the window, putting their bags on the spare chairs and beginning to eat, like two hungry wolves. Noelle took out her phone and began checking social medias, while biting hungrily into her sandwich. The girls ate in silence, not wanting to get distracted form eating.