12

Chapter 12

Amstelveen

11:05

Noelle woke up to the sound of heavy raindrops hitting on the roof of her house. Considering that her room was right under the roof, she could hear rain even better than the other residents of the house. It was her little privilege. Gradually opening her eyes, she saw something, that she didn't expect to be here at all. 

Her room was decorated with colourful balloons floating under the ceiling. Right opposite her bed was a sign, saying Happy Birthday! It was hung right opposite her eyes, so that she could see it first. Opening her mouth slightly in awe, she sat up and observed the room, which was decorated for her birthday. 

That day finally came. Smiling to herself, she put her feet down on the cold floor, shuffling with the covers a bit before actually getting up and getting ready. It took her a few seconds to actually register in her mind that this was her birthday and no, this was not a dream. 

She stepped onto the cold floor excitedly, skipping to the bathroom like a happy child (which she actually was). While doing today's routine, she took her time. She brushed her teeth; then washed her hair, using her favourite shampoo and hair-mask; then straightened her hair, after drying it and finally, exited the bathroom after a long hour was making herself look a tiny bit better. 

Opening the large, wooden doors of her wardrobe, she wondered about her outfit. An idea popped into her head, making her smile. Taking out her skinny jeans, she threw them onto her unmade bed, continuing her search for the perfect top. She took out a few plain-coloured tops, doing the same procedure with them - throwing them onto her bed. 

Her long search wasn't spent in vain. Finally, she found her favourite black t-shirt, which she wore only on special occasions like this one. It was completely black, with a print in the left, top corner. It was a line drawing of an astronaut in space, having the phrase I need my space float around him like a asteroids.

Throwing the rest of the clothes back  into her wardrobe messily, Noelle put on her jeans and her shirt, as well as slipping on some black slip-on shoes, which she adored. The had little, gold stars drawn on them, making them look like the night sky. Maybe today was her space-day, as well as her birthday. 

Noelle grabbed her phone, nearly tearing it off the charging cord and ran downstairs to find her parents already sitting in the kitchen, looking very pleased with themselves. They grinned widely to their daughter, while she ran down the stairs, skipping nearly two steps every time. 

"Happy Birthday!" Elena exclaimed, smiling and putting some plates down onto the table. This year, she was lucky to have her birthday on a weekend. Not because she didn't want to go to school, but because she finally wanted to have a long breakfast with her family, which will morph into lunch. 

"Are you excited?" Alfred asked, smiling. 

"Isn't that obvious?" Noelle joked, sitting down at the table, while Elena put down a plate with steaming pancakes and waffles. Noelle gulped - it looked so delicious, that she could stare at it forever, forget about eating it. 

"Martijn said that he'll pick you up around noon,"  Elena commented, sitting down opposite Noelle. She took the fork and the knife, putting a waffle onto her plate. Noelle did the same, squeezing some caramel syrup from the plastic bottle onto her pancakes.