the brilliant idea

"Soooo?..." Lexa started after a moment of watching the singer on stage. "Why is it that you don't date?" Clarke laughed.

"Back to giving me shit again, huh?"

"It's a new day. Now answer the question." Lexa flashed her cocky half smile. Then added, "Please."

"God, you're so charming. I bet you get whatever you want..." Another cocky smile and a shrug from Lexa. "Well, I don't date because I have a broken picker." Lexa was deeply intrigued.

"Go on," she said, eyebrows raised.

"The women I'm attracted to are arrogant, self-centered, and completely emotionally unavailable. So I've decided it would be better for me to just not date."

"So you've given up?..." Lexa stated more than asked.

"You have too..." Clarke was very gentle and empathetic with her tone. Though it was true, the reason was very understandable. Lexa shook her head and smiled slightly.

"You just see right through me, don't you?" Lexa was suddenly soft. And it was more than the drinks. Clarke was humbled by Lexa's trust, her willingness to be vulnerable with someone she barely knew.

Dylan and Sam had been watching this exchange with amused awe. Neither had ever seen her so open with someone she was obviously attracted to. They only heard some of the conversation and from what Dylan gathered, Clarke knew something about Lexa that they didn't. And it hurt that his best friend had a secret. Why didn't she tell him?

"She'll tell you when she's ready, hon," Sam said to him, as if he had been listening to his boyfriend's thoughts. Dylan growled.

"I know!" he whined. "It just hurts that she hasn't told me"

"Jett!" It was Lexa's turn to sing again. She smiled broadly and ran up to the stage.

"This is for my best friend Dylan. I love you, dude!" Lexa said into the mic. He looked to the screen and shrieked with glee.

"Look at this stuff, isn't it neat, wouldn't you think my collection's complete..." This is one of Dylan's favorite songs ever. He was slightly shocked when she said I love you to him. This gave him an idea. He smiled deviously and sat next to Clarke.

"I don't know what you did to her, but PLEASE don't stop doing it," he said to her, a genuinely serious expression on his face. Clarke smiled.

"I didn't do anything. This is all her." He gave her a look. "I just tell her the truth about herself."

"And she let's you?!" Dylan asked, his tone dripping with disbelief. Clarke shrugged in response.

"She still talks to me..." There was a moment of silence in which Dylan looked her up and down.

"I like you," he said. "I hope you stick around."

"I plan to," Clarke responded, then looked at Lexa. "No matter how hard it is. She's....special." Dylan squealed and surprised her with a bit hug. She chuckled and hugged him back. The crowd erupted, and they realized they had missed almost all of Lexa's performance.

"What were you talking about that was soooo much more important than your favorite song?" Lexa joked when she reached the table.

"Your mom," Clarke replied without thinking.

"Damn!" Lexa chuckled. "Can't argue with that!"

"Grrrrl! Dylan cried, holding his hand up. Clarke high fived him and chuckled. Lexa motioned for Dylan to move but he shook his head.