Chapter 3- Seeing Things

The laughter immediately stops, “You c-can’t see him?” John asks slightly stuttering over his accent. “See who?!” I shout. John pulls me to the edge of one of the three beds, “You can’t see him.” He points. “Who?” I ask. “The boy right there between Wendy and Michael.” He says. I squint my eyes to attempt to see whomever they speak of. “Strange, very strange.” John holds his chin in thought. Wendy’s eyes widen, “John, not with one of your experiments again!” she huffs rolling her eyes as she crosses her arms releasing Invisible Boy’s hand. “What’s an experiment?” I ask. John chuckles as he rises from the bed running to the other side of the room. “An experiment my dear, girl, is when you test---Peter stand here...right next to the dresser---a hypothesis.” He says. “What’s a hippointhesea?” I ask. “An idea---Wendy fetch the vase---, or a---Michael hand me your bear...no I won’t hurt it---or thought you are strongly curious about.” He says a mile a minute. I’m amazed by his words. “Alright,” he claps his hands together. “Stand here.” John takes my hand and places me in the middle of the room. When he lifts his hand the warmth remains, I hold my hand wanting to savor the heat. “Peter, I want you to lift the vase.” John instructs from one of the beds. “Now,uhh,” he struggles for something. “Oh!” I go to say my name. “Hmph,” I say knitting my eyebrows. “I don’t know my name.” I say. “How about manstealingwretch?” Wendy says under her breath quickly. “Shut it!” John scolds Wendy again. “We’ll figure it out later.” He says crossing his legs. “Can you see him?” he asks. “Of course I see him!” Wendy snaps. “Not you.” He says civil. He nods at me. “No.” I answer. “Do you see the vase?” he asks. “Yes, it’s on the dresser.” I nod. John makes some noises to himself, “Okay, Peter lift the bear.” I look to see if the bear moves. “Do you see him?” he asks again. “No.” I say. “Do you see the bear?” he asks. “Yes, it’s on the floor.” I say. “Weird, very weird.” He says as I hear him rise from the bed. “Just like Father.” He says. “Like who?” I ask. “Our father, George Darling. He doesn’t see Peter either, only our mother does.” He says deep in thought. “Do you think…?” he says a little shocked. “No, she can’t do that she has to be the same as me.” He says answering his own question when we hear the door shut and the clacking of shoes. All of their eyes widen. Michael takes action first and dives to his bed. Wendy gives a kiss on the cheek to Invisible Peter and scurries to her bed. John looks at me wide eyed, but with quick motions he pushes me along to the large dresser. He opens one of the doors and surprisingly lifts me in. Before he closes the door he says with ‘Sorry’ written all over his face, “I am truly sorry.” And the door shuts enveloping me into the darkness of dresses and petticoats.