Chapter 11-The Name Game

“I hate it.” She says. Mary Darling gently chastises her on the arm, “Wendy! Do not say such things that are not true!” Turning to me, “You look wonderful, darling.” She says smiling. “What do you think, John?” she asks. Adjusting his glasses, “You look beautiful.” He says breathlessly. A breath I must’ve held escapes my lips as Wendy rolls her eyes out of the corner of my eye. The small woman standing beside  Mrs. Darling chirps through the silence, "I assume this is the one you will be purchasing?" looking at Mrs. Darling expectantly. "Yes, it is, thank you." she says resting her face in her palm in what seems to be a reverie of the sort. "You really do, look wonderful, darling." Mrs. Darling continues. "But, Mother there is no where for her to wear it to." Wendy says in faux sympathy as a smirk wriggles its way up her face. "Oh, dear. I didn't even think of that." Mrs. Darling says as I inwardly deflate. "Excuse me, Mother, but we do have that banquet in the late autumn or something or other." John says piping up as he adjusts his glasses. I immediately perk up, "That is right, John. Now, Wendy I could not possibly forget that since it is being hosted at our home this year." Mrs. Darling says snapping back into reality as Wendy slouches back into the couch. "Do sit up dear, it's not very lady like." she says reaching for her bag. 

"You know, John I am very grateful for you to remember those plans. I musn't forget those." Mrs. Darling says as we walk back out into the over crowded walking thing lined with shops and Wendy glares at John heavily. "You're welcome, Mother." John says walking beside me. "You did actually look quite ravishing in that dress, by the way." John says to me. Blushing I feel the heat rise up to my cheeks, "Thank you." I say softly. "Girl," Mrs. Darling calls. I walk up next to her, "Hence we do not know how long you are to stay with us we must enroll you into school." She says once I stand beside her. A feeling of deep dread resides inside of me when she mentions school, causing me to blow warm air from nostrils. She stops, "Is that alright with you?" she asks resting her skirts. "Yes," I say. "Good, now let's get to it." she says as we continue our walk in town. 

We arrive at large building that looks much like the Darlings' home but, on a greater scale and, much, much bleaker. The building sits back on a plot of land  and what seems to be broken up rock leading to its doors. The entrance sign reads, Madame Worthington's Secondary School. I take in the blooming flowers pressed again the wrought iron fence; emitting vast perfumes, and the only source of bright color there. The grass is an unnaturally beautiful green. I trail behind having never seen a place like this before. "Come along, girl." Mrs. Darling calls with a smile across her face. I lift the folds of my skirts to run to catch up. "Ah, ah, ah." Mrs. Darling says. "Young women do not run in heels." she says. Wendy snickers at my chastisement, my eyes flash to hers sending dark daggers into her blue pools. On our way to the school, we pass a small pond type of thing with a giant ship carved out of rock sitting inside. I stop to look at it. A feeling of familiarity plays inside my head. The details carved into the stone are magnificent and the creature upon the front fails to be recognized in my mind. "Girl!" Wendy screeches pulling me out of my trance and making me realize how close I am to the small pond. "Let's go!" Wendy barks at me. Rolling my eyes I drag myself to the Darlings. 

"What is the girl's name?" the headmistress Madame Worthington asks. I cringe even more than usual when she calls me girl. "It's..." I linger for a bit trying to recall my own name but, only receive fuzziness. "What is it?" the old woman asks. "It's um," I look around for some kind of sign to tell me my own name. Which, frankly is quite sad to not remember your own name. "Spit it out." she persists. "It's Charlotte." I say reading off of a painting in the small room. "Strange, you don't look like a Charlotte." she says. Panicking I blurt out, "Because, I'm not." Looking at me through her glasses she says to me, "Then what is it. It is extremely unladylike to lie." she says. "But, I wasn't. It's my middle name." I say. "Than what is your name child." the headmistress says annoyed. "It's Genevieve." I say.

Hey, sorry for the super late post and for any grammatical errors!

-Classic