Chapter 7-Becoming English

Mrs. Darling closes the door behind her and I’m left alone in the empty and strange room. I see the dressing divider which is about the only thing I recognize in here. There’s a knock on the door just as I’m about to figure out what happens when I turn the handle on the basin. “Who is it?” I ask. “Nana.” She responds. “Okay.” And she opens the door. “Oh, dearie, you are a mess. Let me turn on the water for you.” She says as she walks in and a wrinkled hand placed on her cheek in awe of my appearance. She turns the knob of the basin and water comes out. “Aren’t you going to get undressed?” she asks. My eyes widen, “Don’t worry I’m not going to look, plus I’m pretty sure we have the same things under there.” She says turning around. I drag the dressing divider in front of the water basin, take my clothes off, and step into the warm water. The divider moves soon after I’m in. Nana grabs a bucket, dips it into the water and dumps it on me. “Oh, look at all that filth on ya.” She says as I look at the water start to change color; I guess the disguise was pretty accurate. She massages my head with some good smelling liquid thing that bubbles. I inhale the scent deeply. “You like that? It’s Mme. Rose’s shampoo.” She says. Once she’s done, “I’ll let you wash and then I’ll come back in to help you.” She pulls the divider in front of me. 

I clear my throat signaling that I’m done and she tosses a towel over the top. Pulling the plug I step out of the tub, the water sloshing, and dry myself. Nana passes me some sort of undergarment and I put them on when she says, “The next part I’ll have to help you with.” I respond with, “Okay.” When she shows me the contraption I feel my eyes bulge. She helps put it on me and I swear my insides are going to burst. Once she finishes the series of tugs and pulls it’s not that bad but, feeling restricted I sit down for a minute to catch my breath. Standing up Nana helps slide on the dress. It’s a beautiful yellow. She twists my hair up before she shows me my reflection. My breath hitches. Is this what I look like? Is this really me? I stare at myself. My curling dark hair contrasts with the yellow material. “Thank you, Nana.” I say. “No problem, dearie.” She says. “Oh, and don’t forget your shoes.” I squeeze my now sock covered foot into the shoe and snap the covers on. I attempt to walk in the shoes and my ankles lean out a little causing me to be unbalanced. “Oh, be careful dear.” Nana says catching my elbow. “Now, let’s show the family what you look like.”