Chapter 9- Grains of Sand

I open my eyes to a brilliant sunlight streaming on an empty beach. A slight breeze rustling the trees, and the water sloshing upon the shore. Breathing in I inhale the smell of sea salt. Looking around I notice a large ship is docked. 

Listening I hear voices; a girl and a man. "Scavenger hunt." The man says. "Ok," the girl says. Sounding concerned the man says something about not leaving the ship , the girl reassuringly responds. I lift my head, sand falling from the strands and dust myself off before beginning to climb the front of the ship. For what reason, I do not know. 

The girl hollers a goodbye before hurriedly walking to a built in bureau. Thrusting the doors open the girl retrieves a sword. My breath hitches a little not in fright but in something of remembrance. Peeking over the edge I watch her try out various hairstyles before deciding on her original option. Satisfied she closes the door and begins to turn around. Nervous she'll see me, my footing slips and I plummet to the lapping waters. Plunging and thrashing attempting to catch my breath and reach the surface of the clear blue water turns to dark and suddenly I'm falling. My arms are flailing about me in a panic when, a sudden calm comes over me and causes my arms to subside. Picking up speed I notice a shape below me. Forcing my arms over my head I prepare for impact but, begin to pick up even more speed, the sky around me becoming a blur; the stars becoming blinding streaks of light. Panicking I,

Jolt awake. Breathing heavily I notice the beads of sweat on my arms drenching my nightgown. Brushing the damp strands of hair from my forehead I try to grasp what I just dreamt. Laying back down to calm myself I shut my eyes trying to retrieve the one remaining feeling other than fear from the dream but, can't. The dream flashes before my eyes as I try to fall back asleep. 

Waking up, I find my limbs sprawled across the bed entangled with the blankets. Rubbing my eyes I take in the morning consisting of the occasional bird song, and my feet. On my feet are grains of sand. Thrusting the blankets off my legs, I sit in a small pile of sand. Carefully, I stand a few grains falling to the floor. Quickly, I run to lock the bedroom door. Thinking fast while I look out the window, gathering the sheets I dump the sand into the yard. Placing the sheets back on the bed, I unlock the door when I hear a knock. "Yes?" I ask. "It's me, Mary Darling. We're getting ready to leave soon." She says. "Oh, okay." I say remembering our plans. "I'll be down in a minute." I say pressing my head onto the white wooden door. "Okay," she says backing away. Sliding my back on the door, I stare at the bed, Where did the sand come from? What does it mean? Brushing my hair out of my face, 'Now to try and get into that contraption piece of clothing.'