Chapter 12-Hook

"Genevieve?" Mrs. Darling asks. "Are you sure?" she says her eyes looking watery. I wait before answering; the words not coming to my lips. "Mother, are you okay?" Wendy asks, and for the first time I hear a softness in her voice. Reaching for a small piece of fabric to dab her face she says, "I'm fine, sweetheart. Thank you." she says. "Now, back to her name, was it Charlotte you said?" she asks sniffling. "Yes...?" I say more asking than answering. Sniffling, "Charlotte Genevieve." she says. "What is the girl's surname?" Mrs. Worthington asks, when a ray of light catches me in the eye.  

He shines his hook as it catches the light, "Would you like to know how I got this dear hook?" the man says. "Tell me! Tell me!" a little girl claps on a woman's lavender dress covered lap. "James, I don't think she's old enough yet." the woman says. "But,I'm a big kid!" the little girl says as her waves bounce around her small head. "I think she's a little too young dear." the woman says; her voice warm. "Mama, pleaseeeee." the little girl begs. "Noooooo," she tickles the girl causing her to laugh maniacally as the man with the hook; who seems to be the father watches on with kind eyes a midst his dark hair. 

"Hook." I say softly, before saying firmly, "My last name is Hook." Everyone turns to look at me. "Fine, Charlotte Genevieve Hook." Madame Worthington's voice cracks. "You are how old?" she asks looking over the top of her spectacles. "Sixteen." I say; the number tumbling out of my mouth. "Okay, that is all. We will place her into classes for Monday after she takes the preliminary exam." she says shuffling her papers as she sticks the quill heavily into the ink jar. "I expect you to be here at this school at seven o'clock sharp." she says folding her fingers. "Understood?" she asks raising an eyebrow. "Understood." I say. 

Mrs. Darling stands leading us out of the office after saying 'thank you' with her still faintly puffy looking eyes. My eyes trail Mrs. Darling as she passes in front of me, her skirts ruffling as they skim mine. Once we get outside into the light we file into two separate groups; Wendy and Mary in the front and John and I bringing up the rear. With his hands behind his back, "If you would like, I can assist you with your studies for the exams." he says. "That would be nice." I say placing a stray hair behind my ear. "Good." he says with a light blush on his cheeks and a smile coming up his face when an abrupt snicker eminates from in front of us. Wendy turning her neck says,"Her? Study? please, she can't even-" when she's interrupted by a hard glare from John. In response she rolls her eyes. I look down at my hands as we walk before saying, "Do you mind calling me Charlie?" 

-

My feet walk along the wooden floor barefoot after we arrive back from Mrs. Worthington's. All of us walk slowly depart to our rooms when Wendy rushes past me slamming the door behind her. My eyebrows furrow together as I pass her room when I hear a faint conversation, "What are you doing here?" Wendy hisses pausing briefly as if for a response before she sharply begins to scold, "You're only supposed to come at night! What if somebody sees you?!" she exclaims her voice escalating causing me to stop in my tracks. "I know she can't see you but, what if other people can?" she says sounding concerned. "I know, I know you're careful." she says her voice growing soft leading my thoughts in the short moment of silence only to Peter the Invisible in my eyes before hearing, "What do you mean he's here?! He can't be, he's not supposed to be here." she says making me curious as to whom she's talking about. "She's not even supposed to be here." she hisses. Don't I know it. "Well, where is he? We have to get them together before she starts remembering too much anything." she says. I go to reach for the doorknob. "Charlotte? I mean Charlie?" A voice says. Whipping around, "Yes! Oh, hi John." I say. "Would you like to start your studies?" he asks raising an eyebrow. Pushing away the previous conversation, "Sure." I say. "Right this way." he says leading me past Wendy's room and past mine to the end of the hallway by a window. He stops in front of a wall lifting a latch, "Your journey awaits." he says opening the door revealing a set of wooden stairs. "After you." he says giving me a hand. I lift my skirts to ascend the stairs as he shuts the door behind us.