Chapter Nine: An Ambush from the Shadows

Jacob and Alexandra plastered themselves against the wall as the shadows around them formed into barely visible creatures of chaos.

Jacob, backed up against the glowing bricks, suddenly jumped at the shadowy creatures and swung his sword in a deadly uppercut. As soon as his sword made contact with the shadows, the ruby on his sword started glowing, and the creature was set ablaze.

"um, Jacob?" asked Alexandra nervously.

"Yea, I don't know what I just did either, but I like it!" replied Jacob with a maniacal grin.

As Jacob sliced the monstrous beings into bits of black dust, they just kept on reforming. By the time Jacob started to get tired, there were already about double than at first!

"they... just... keep... appearing!" panted Jacob, surrounded by a mob of shadows.

Suddenly Alexandra had a crazy idea. She tossed him her machete and asked him to hand her his sword.

"Oh, alright! If you insist!"

Alexandra took the two perfectly forged bright silver swords, and slammed them both into the floor, blades touching. Suddenly, there was a blinding light, and Alexandra went soaring backward.

After blinking the spots out of her eyes, she looked at what she had done. In the two sword's places, was a glowing claymore encrusted with all kinds of precious metals and gems.

Alexandra pulled the sword out of the ground, and pointed it at the shadows. There was a blast of light and energy, and the shadows were gone.

"Well, that was fun!" exclaimed Alexandra, holding the two swords again.

"oh yea. It was awesome." replied Jacob sarcastically, catching his sword in in midair. "Now what?"

"We go down the other path, of course!"

"Um, if you've forgotten, there's a flaming wall blocking our path!"

"No, there isn't."

"Huh? Oh... I see..."

Jacob walked up to the wall and reached his arm out. It went strait through.

"It's just an illusion..."