Chapter Eighteen: A Peek into the Future

Alexandra woke up behind her dumpster and thought, "I'm back? Could all have been a crazy dream?" 

Then she looked down at her hand and groaned. The ring was still there. 

"Wait a second... Didn't Rahili take the ring?" 

She attempted to remove the ring, but it wouldn't come off. She suddenly noticed that the glittering sapphire with the strange rune in the middle was missing. She stood up, and suddenly felt a familiar weight on her back. She reached toward her back, and curled her fingers around the smooth leather of a sword hilt. She unheathed the sword and examined it. The colors seemed strangely dull, and the razor-sharp blade was chipped in places.

As she looked up toward the sky, she heard a loud BANG! and she ran out into the open street, down toward the sound.

Alexandra, confused, ended up in the town park. As she approached the lake, she looked up toward the building on the other side. The entire top floor was destroyed, and fire had consumed at least a quarter of the outer walls. She watched in horror as an unknown figure fell toward the lake below, and gasped. 

As the figure turned in midair, she saw Jacob's face.

"It just has to get worse and worse, doesn't it?" Alexandra muttered.