Chapter 1

Luke

           Today’s the day.

           I wake up smiling. I check myself out in the bathroom mirror, fiddling with my hair until it looks perfectly messy. I practice my smile- smirk, my cool kid head nod, and my go- out- with- me- I’m- irresistible smoulder. Yup, today’s the day.

           Making my way downstairs, I’m feeling utterly ecstatic. Could she turn me down flat? Definitely. Do I think she’ll be able to resist me? Nah. My mom casts me a knowing glance as I grab a piece of toast on my way out the doors. My mom knows everything. It’s embarrassing, I  guess, but I don’t mind.

           I jam the entire piece of toast into my mouth and unlock my car door, mentally psyching myself up for what’s sure to be the best day of my life. Probably. As I drive to school, I have to be careful to watch my speed. Usually, I speed a lot, but today, it’s even worse. My foot is just as excited as the rest of me. I have to make a conscious choice to obey the laws of the road. I just want to get to school so bad! That sounds funny coming from a grade twelve guy. But the most beautiful grade twelve girl is at school, waiting for me. I gulp and try to swallow.

           Pulling into the student parking lot erases my excitement and fills me with nerves. I try to give myself a pep talk, but I can’t focus. What if she’s totally not interested? I tell myself to relax and man up. Okay, I can do this. I open my car door and try to get out. I’m stuck. I sit confused for a minute before it dawns on me to unbuckle my seat belt. Right, I can do this…

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

 Amanda

           Oh crap, there he is. He’s getting out of his car. I take in a deep breath and head inside, straight to my locker.  I open the locker door, trying to appear occupied. He’s on his way down the hall, so I duck farther behind my locker door, hiding like a crushing nine year old. I know where crushes lead and it’s not pretty. This is merely a really bad crush. I sigh.

           He pauses to talk to Miss Popularity at the other end of the hall. I shoot her mental daggers then immediately relax. He’s so cute! Argh! What is wrong with me? I can’t go down this road.

           I find myself taking in all of his features. He has this gorgeous dark brown, almost black hair that’s thick and soft, and chocolate eyes as sweet as sugar. He’s a basketball player. It’s evident in his tall, lean build. And his smile always makes me melt, as much as I wish it wouldn’t.

           Only then do I notice how close he is to me. While I was lost in thought, apparently he was walking my direction, no longer talking to the Barbie doll. I have a small moment of panic, my thoughts begin to race. I check the mirror hanging on my locker door, giving myself a reassuring glance. Then I give myself a dirty look. No, Amanda. No, no, no-

           “Amanda?” a familiar voice asks and I have to turn to look. Uh oh.

 ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Luke

            Crap. She turns to look at me, the corners of her lips curling up slightly. She’s an angel, standing there looking at me. Waiting.

            “Hey, Luke,” she smiles slightly. Her smile is so beautiful, and the way her entire face lights up when she grins is just so cute. Her haunting blue eyes that always contain a dark gleam are sparkling and her dark caramel brown hair cascades over delicate shoulders in perfect natural curls. She has this way of making me feel like I’m the only person in the room, how she focuses solely on me, not the surrounding people. She has a kindness and sincerity about her that is contagious. She looks contentedly patient, waiting for me to say something. I need to say something! Why can’t I speak?