Chapter 12

Luke

            Amanda only lives two streets away from me now. I get to pick her up every day and take her to school.  It’s pretty sad that such circumstances are the reason we get to be practically neighbours, but since she isn’t with her crazy mother anymore, it’s ok. It only takes me three minutes to get from my house to Dianne’s house. Before I’m even in park, Amanda is outside and on her way to my car. She looks radiant. I haven’t seen her this happy ever. Dianne is waving from the window. They seem to be getting along nicely.

            I have my driving privileges back. Rachel and Curtis did not press charges, I was not guilty of impaired driving, and there was ice and low visibility, so I didn’t face legal consequences. If the only benefit of still having my license was these moments when Amanda and I drive alone together, it would be worth it.  

             I drive extremely cautiously. It is necessary now, especially with Amanda as my passenger. She is wary of motor vehicles for obvious reasons. Plus, the snow is all melting. That awkward transition season between winter and spring is very slippery.

             Our school is ten minutes from Amanda’s new home. That’s twenty minutes a day I get to spend with only her. This is our first ride and our first time alone together since I visited her in the hospital that night when I confessed causing the accident.

             We are both silent for a few minutes. I want desperately to have meaningful conversation with her, to show her that I care. I start by just asking standard questions, like how she slept last night and how she likes Dianne and her house.

             Amanda seems perfectly content with Dianne and the house. She answers my questions in as few words as possible, talking softly and hardly smiling. She doesn’t ask any questions back. Finally, at the last stoplight before school, I ask her, “Are you nervous for today?”

             She says nothing, but nods her head and looks down. I bite my lip, wanting to comfort her but not wanting to go against her wishes. So I say, “It’s ok. I’ll be around.” I cast her a sideways glance and smile.

             Amanda looks at me and gives me little grin. “Thanks, buddy.”

             I grimace when she looks away. She only called me ‘buddy’ to remind me that we’re nothing more than friends, and probably just to push my buttons. The girl is driving me crazy! But I know that today must be stressful, with the burn and all, so I decide that the best thing I can be for her today is just a friend anyway. That doesn’t stop me from getting out of my car quickly when we pull into the parking lot and running around to open her door for her. I help her out and give her hand a quick squeeze. “See you in Calculus,” I say, then walk away before she can reply, hitting the lock button on my car remote as I do.

             As I head into school, I can’t help but feel nervous, too. I’m sure word got out that I caused an accident, that someone lost their legs because of me. It turns out I’m right.

             “Hey, bozo, watch where you’re walking!” A football player yells down the hall. “I need these legs for game day!” The hallway erupts in snickers mostly, plus a few pitiful glances. That was a harsh comment. They make it all seem like a joke, like the gravity of the situation isn’t real.

             I drop my head lower in shame, then, feeling cheeky, call back, “Careful, man! ‘Bozo’ is kind of a big word for you, don’t you think?” The hallway erupts in snickers again, louder than the first time. All right, so that wasn’t the best response. I feel only slightly bad.