Chapter 3

Luke

           I didn’t sleep at all last night. How could I? This morning, I was up at 5:30, two hours before normal. I couldn’t take pretending to be asleep any longer.

           As I make myself a cup of coffee and sit at the table, Dad comes in. He seems not to notice me for a bit, staring at the already full coffee maker like he’s never seen it before. He shakes his head and pours himself a cup anyway. Then he turns to the table and, seeing me, jumps.

           “Oh, Luke,” he says. “You startled me.” Then he sits down and reads from one of his business- guy books. After a moment, it seems to dawn on him that I shouldn’t be functioning at this time of the morning. “What are you doing up?” he asks after a few silent minutes.

           “Couldn’t sleep,” I reply simply. Dad nods knowingly, closes his book, and sets it on the table.

           Then suddenly words are pouring out of me. “So basically, I was awake all night thinking. Amanda, she wasn’t even my girlfriend. We’d never actually been on a date, even though we were about to. Why am I so upset about this? I’m mean sure, human life is at stake and I guess that’s pretty terrifying. What if she’s gone? What if she actually died before, before…?” I trail off.

           Dad nods, leaning forward and listening patiently. I continue, “Then I got thinking, what if she’s still alive? Do I rush in and propose?” Dad starts to say something but I interrupt, “But what I wondered most of all, the thought that kept me up all night, was, ‘I know I’m only eighteen and have no clue what feelings even are, but I think I might be in love.’ And I was terrified at the thought of losing my first and only love.” I let out a huge breath and furrow my eyebrows, clamping my mouth shut to prevent further verbal diarrhea. Did I just confess to my dad that I thought I was in love? I mentally scold myself, embarrassed. My cheeks turn red and I begin picking at the peeling wallpaper beside the table, like a worried child. I may be eighteen, but I am no adult.

           Dad gets up and lays a hand on my shoulder, saying nothing at first. I rip a big chunk of wallpaper off the wall. I refuse to look at my dad. Eighteen year old boys don’t spill all their feelings to their dads, especially over girls they never even got the chance to know. Rip. Off comes another chunk. Then Dad says, “You’re a strong young man, Luke. No matter what happens, you are going to be alright.”

           I sniff loudly and wipe my nose with my sleeve. Dad called me a young man. That always means his serious. I chug what’s left of my coffee, rinse out the cup, and start to leave the kitchen. Dad sits back down and opens his book again, as if nothing happened. I stop at the doorway and mumble hurriedly over my shoulder, “Thanks, Dad.” He just nods and keeps on reading.

           School goes by in a blur. I had walked past Amanda’s locker this morning out of habit, and had even waited nearby for a few minutes, desperately hoping that she would show up. She did not.

           The other students are not yet aware of what’s going on. A few of Amanda’s friends have asked me if I knew where she was today. I didn’t have the heart to tell any of them the truth, so I simply shook my head and shrugged my shoulders.

           I went so far as to ask the principal if Amanda’s family had called to say where she was today. He said they hadn’t. Didn’t her family know what had happened yet? Was no one else aware of anything?

           Calculus is no longer my favourite class. Jenna talks to me continuously. I shouldn’t be mad at her because she doesn’t know what’s going on, but I can’t help it. I turn abruptly in my seat and face her head on. “Can you please, like, leave me alone?” I mock her annoying tone, then immediately regret it when I see legitimate hurt on her face.

           “I’m sorry, Luke,” she says quietly. “I’m just trying to be friendly.” With that, she gets up and moves a row over and two seats back. My stomach twists in guilty knots. I’m a jerk. I zone out for the rest of class, wallowing in misery.

           The final bell rings and I race out of class towards my car, not even bothering to stop at my locker. I arrive at the news station to another large crowd of people. Before I can even see the front desk, I hear Diane’s authoritative voice saying, “You all need to get out of here! Don’t come back until after the news has aired!” She sounds extremely annoyed.

           The crowd grumbles and a wave moves towards the entrance in which I’m currently standing. I fight my way towards the desk despite numerous shoves and angry glances. I land my hands on Diane’s desk, breathless.

           “Listen, bozo, I said get out-” she stops short. “Oh, kid!” Diane clears her throat and a genuine smile appears on her lips. But her eyes betray her. She’s nervous as she says, “Here, I compiled this list of casualties and survivors. But Luke, I want you to prepare yourself, okay? Don’t break down on me.”

           I snatch the list from her hand, take in a big breath, and scan the paper. I read the casualties first. When I don’t see Amanda’s name, my heart soars. But it falls just as quickly when I read the names of those who escaped unharmed. If she’s not dead, but not okay, she must be…

           Amanda James.

           I take in a sharp breath and Dianne looks at me with concerned eyes. “She’s in critical condition,” I tell her solemnly. Dianne’s eyes light up. I look at her sternly, upset at her joy. She laughs. “Luke, don’t you see?” She is delighted. “She’s alive!”

           I think about this a minute. Dianne is right; Amanda is alive! “Oh, Diane,” I beam at her, “Amanda is alive!” Dianne nods happily.

           “Amanda,” she says. “What a lovely name.” I nod in happy agreement. Then a thought hits her. “Oh yes. I wasn’t going to tell you this until I knew which list your girl was on, but the survivors were taken to River Stone Hospital. You know where that is?”

           I nod quickly and begin walking away. “Thank you, Diane!” I call over my shoulder.

           “Wait, Luke, there’s something you should know about the accident! There was gas and it-” I hear Diane’s voice behind me, her tone now serious. But I’m in such a rush to see Amanda that I ignore her and keep walking. Diane continues to yell at me, but I hear nothing but the sound of my heart racing as I leave the news station and jump in my car, headed for River Stone Hospital.

 ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

© 2013 by ColourMeKylee. All Rights Reserved.