Chapter 33

Luke

           Today’s the day.

           I wake up smiling. I check myself out in the bathroom mirror, fiddling with my hair until it looks perfectly messy. I practice my smile- smirk, my cool kid head nod, and my go- out- with- me- I’m- irresistible smoulder. Yup, today’s the day.

         Making my way downstairs, I’m feeling utterly hopeful. Could she turn me down flat and still forget who I am? Definitely. Do I think she’ll be able to resist me? Nah. My mom casts me a knowing glance as I grab a piece of toast on my way out the doors. My mom wants Amanda to remember me almost as much as I do.

           I jam the entire piece of toast into my mouth and unlock my car door, mentally psyching myself up for what’s sure to be the best day of my life. Probably. As I drive to the high school, I have to be careful to watch my speed. Usually, I speed a lot, but today, it’s even worse. My foot is just as excited as the rest of me. I have to make a conscious choice to obey the laws of the road. I just want to get to school so bad! That sounds funny coming from a college- aged guy. But the most beautiful girl is at the school, waiting for me. I gulp and try to swallow.

           Pulling into the student parking lot erases my excitement and fills me with nerves. I try to give myself a pep talk, but I can’t focus. What if she thinks I’m being weird? What if she doesn’t remember? I tell myself to relax and man up. Okay, I can do this. I open my car door and try to get out. I’m stuck. I sit confused for a minute before it dawns on me to unbuckle my seat belt. It’s exactly like last time I tried to do this. We know how well that turned out…

  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Amanda

         Oh crap, there he is. He’s getting out of his car. I take in a deep breath and head inside, straight to my old locker. It’s locked, occupied by another student now. I stand awkwardly in front of locker door, trying to appear occupied. I have no idea why he asked me to meet him at our old high school, of all places. I don’t even know how he managed to get us inside. This place is normally locked on Saturdays. Yet here I am inside, with a bunch of people I went to high school with staring at me but trying to pretend like they’re not. In general, this whole arrangement has me thoroughly worried.

         Luke pauses to talk to Jenna at the other end of the hall. I shoot them both mental daggers. Why won’t they tell me what’s going on?

           I find myself taking in all of his features. He has this gorgeous dark brown, almost black hair that’s thick and soft, and chocolate eyes as sweet as sugar. He’s a basketball player. It’s evident in his tall, lean build. And his smile always makes me melt.

           Then it’s like my mind races back to another point in time. I was standing right here, staring at a brown- haired boy at the other end of the hall. It’s fuzzy, but I can see it. Am I having a real memory of Luke?

           “Amanda?” a familiar voice asks and I have to turn to look. Luke.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

 Luke

            Here goes nothing. She turns to look at me, the corners of her lips curling up slightly. She’s an angel, standing there looking at me. Waiting.

            “Hey, Luke,” she smiles slightly. Her smile is so beautiful, and the way her entire face lights up when she grins is just so cute. Her haunting blue eyes that always contain a dark gleam are sparkling and her dark caramel brown hair cascades over delicate shoulders in perfect natural curls. She has this way of making me feel like I’m the only person in the room, how she focuses solely on me, not the surrounding people. She has a kindness and sincerity about her that is contagious. She looks contentedly patient, waiting for me to say something. I specifically asked her not to ask me any questions about today. She’s holding to her promise, so all the words are up to me.