Chapter 26

Amanda

            I feel awful. Losing Luke doesn’t mean losing a potential boyfriend. I mean, it does, but that’s not the worst part. The worst part is that I’ve shut out one of the only people to ever genuinely care about me. He was the best friend I ever had, and I cut him off, just like that.

            I mope around the house all day. I watch hours of TV and can’t recall a single show afterwards, I attempt to read a book and end up rereading the same line over and over again. Finally, I simply lie on the couch and watch the little hands on the clock tick.

            Argh, what’s wrong with me? People go through break ups all the time, and nobody acts like this. Especially not the one who did the breaking up! But this is different. Luke and I weren’t dating. I severed our friendship over a petty argument. I took it out on him that I couldn’t remember something that he wants me to. I’m being unreasonable. But I feel like I’m justified at the same time. This is so infuriating!

            After at least an hour of intense mental battles, I reach for my phone. I should call Luke. I should apologize. I should tell him how I feel. I should fix this. But I can’t.

            I sigh and hit call.

 ▬▬▬▬▬

 Luke

            I wake up at two o’clock in the afternoon the next day. I literally can’t breathe. It’s like someone has sucked the life right out of me. I guess this is a normal reaction after a break up. The whole I’ll never- get- over- her thing is just a phase, right? Wrong. I can’t get over her because we hardly even began. I lost my best friend. Over what? I don’t know, but I can’t take this.

            Finally, I decide to take my mind off things by walking to the park. Johnny is busy playing video games but Hannah wants to come with me. We put a leash on Teddy and head out.

            Once at the park, Hannah bolts for a swing and I follow her. I’m actually kind of enjoying myself, not thinking about… that girl I’m not thinking about. Hannah’s laughter is contagious and soon I’m even smiling. My little sister never ceases to amaze me.

            Once we’ve played on every piece of structure in the park and even attempted to play catch with Teddy and a stick, we sit down on the park bench. Hannah speaks up first.

            “Amanda should have come with us. She would’ve liked it here today,” she says, much to my dismay. I feel a sharp pain in my chest at the mention of Amanda’s name, but I don’t want to upset my sister. She is so happy all the time; why ruin that now?

            “You know,” I say in my best everything- is- fine voice, “I’m not sure if Amanda will be around for a while.”

            Hannah’s eyes go dark. “Why not?”

            “Well,” I start. I have no idea how to explain this. I tell my sister truthfully, “I’m not real sure.”

            “Did you guys have a fight?” She asks in horror.

            I cringe and reply, “Yeah, sort of.”

            “Well, fix it.”

            I laugh, “It’s not as easy as you might think.”

            “Sure it is. I bet she wants to fix it, too,” my little sister leans against me. “It’s all going to be okay.”