Chapter 27

Amanda

            For one week, Luke and I haven’t spoken. It has been a week full of held- back tears and the ever- present need to call him, if only to hear his voice. But I can’t do that. Because I ended it. This is what I wanted. It’s all because of something I can’t remember. I hate this.

            I try to push my thoughts of Luke out of my mind. Today is my job interview at Chez Noire and it is imperative that I’m not distracted. Getting this job means I can eventually pay off my hospital bills. I need this to happen.

            I brush my teeth twice for good measure. I give my reflection one last check in the mirror and am about to leave when I am suddenly overcome with the urge to cover my scar. I sprint back to my room and whip out my make- up, doing my best to conceal the angry, red thing.

            I fail miserably. By the time I’m finished, one side of my face is practically an inch bigger than the other, and there are still rough red patches shining through. I stare coldly at my reflection once more.

            “Ah, screw it,” I sigh angrily and wash away the make- up. I pat my face dry and attempt a pitiful smile at myself. This is as good as it gets, I guess. It will just have to be good enough.

▬▬▬▬▬

            “Amanda James?” I look up towards the pretty blonde woman. “Mr. Newman will see you now.”

            I thank the woman and take a deep breath, pushing open the big oak doors that lead to Mr. Newman’s office.

            Herald Newman is the owner of Chez Noire. The restaurant is just one of many that he owns. Needless to say, this man is loaded. He has numerous staff, yet he insists on interviewing every potential employee himself. He has an office building downtown, which is where he conducts all of his interviews. This place is totally high class. I gulp.

            Mr. Newman is a surprisingly young- looking man, and when he looks up at me, he smiles immediately. He seems quite the opposite of the stuffy businessman stereotype, so I relax a bit. This is going to be fine.

            “Come in, come in!” He stands up and extends his hand for me to shake. I return the greeting and smile, self- conscious of my clothes, my hair, and my face the whole time. I had tried to dress as professionally as possible, and I kind of regret not covering the scar after all.

            The interview goes remarkably well, and within twenty minutes, Mr. Newman is wrapping it up. He stares at me for a long moment before breaking into another smile.

            “I like you, my dear,” He says and nods. “You’re hired.”

            It’s all I can do not to scream. The fanciest restaurant in the city just hired me! I didn’t totally mess up!

            “Thank you, Mr. Newman!” I exclaim. After an awkward pause I add, “So, what’s next?”

            “Oh, yes, of course,” he laughs. “Well, you’ll start training next week, we’ll get you fitted for a uniform, and we’ll need to talk about that burn, of course-“

            I cut him off, “What?” He looks at me and I regain my composure. “My scar? Is it a problem?” I try not to sound too concerned.

            “Oh, Amanda. It’s not that you have a scar, it’s just… Well, my restaurant is the finest around, you know, and many expensive people eat there. Your scar is, well, it’s quite noticeable and it may concern many of our guests. It’s nothing personal; it’s just the way it is. But you can just cover it up and it will be fine.” He smiles reassuringly.