07

07 // sixth day of disappearance // father 

"how... how can you say that?" i ask. although i was scared.

"i've ascertained that it was evening when she went there. from what they've said, it was around five to six o' clock. and it started raining by five thirty. there was a storm, you know that. and the waves were strong." he said. his voice getting smaller as he said the last sentence.

we were all quiet. we were all trying to think. trying to absorb the news that he had said. and him, trying to stop the pity from getting out. because he knew, from the years he was a police, that people hate being pitied. 

but it was so visible. the pity. it was the only thing i could see in his eyes. accusation.

we all knew what he meant but we all didn't quite believed. it's not like we think he's joking, when did a police ever joked at times like this? as i stared deeper into the officer's eyes, i couldnt help but feel like he's accusing us. 

"you're telling us she drowned?"

he looked at us in pity. maybe he didn't want to say it. maybe he just didn't want to be the one telling us these things. maybe he thinks that we could just forget the whole thing.

but, no. he will tell us. because he needs to. he knows that we needed to know. that we wanted to know. that we had to face it.

"yes, i think she probably drowned."

we were so capable of being pitied at.

// dedicated to flowersinhishair because she has flowers in her hair. //