09

09 // eighth day of disappearance // the bestfriend

" you, bitch."

" i-i'm sorry! i didn't... i didn't mean it." i stuttered. then nadine and her friends encircled me.

nadine scoffed. "you didn't mean it? spilling my drink on my blouse? bitch. you know you're not getting away with it, right?" she said with pure malice in her face.

i took a step backward. but then one of her friends shoved me forward. and then i thought i'd fall with my face. but she...but nadine, pulled my hair with great force.

it was painful.

and people were looking. but nobody was helping me. nobody told her to stop because i was already crying. because it's hurting me. nobody was stopping her. maybe they were scared that they'd get caught with our fight. or maybe, maybe they simply didn't want to. maybe they were enjoying seeing me cry. i should've known that a simple incident like this would enrage someone like nadine. maybe i would still have been able to stop it had i been looking where i was headed to.

but then, someone, one of her friends, one of the popular girls, smart, beautiful and kind, stopped her. stopped her own friend from pulling a stranger's hair.

"nadine!"

the girl pushed her hand away from my hair and pulled me away from her friend. i was still crying. my eyes were clouded with tears in an attempt to stop them from spilling more. and my face was covered with my brown hair.

"what do you think you're doing!" nadine fumed. 

"no. what do you think you're doing, nadine? why were you pulling her hair?" the nice girl said in disbelief.

"you see this? she spilled my drink on my favorite dress! my favorite dress! so why not?"

there was a petrified silence that followed and i thought that they were gonna team up, finally. but the girl who helped me spoke, her voice quiet but spoken with clarity. "what the hell, nadine? it's just dress. and you know what? when a dress is stained, you put it in the laundry and not go around shrieking in the hallways with your so called friends over there and pulling a girl's hair." 

"why are you even defending her? you're supposed to be on my side." nadine said. i peeked through the strands of my hair and saw that she has her fists clenched tightly. i closed my eyes and waited for the expected: for the girl to let go of my hadns and go to nadine's side, her friend.

"i'm not on anyone's side, nadine." the nice girl said calmly.

"then stay away from that slut and come here."

i still didn't know who the nice girl is because of my hair, but also because i didn't want to feel guilty if things go wrong between them and i had to endure the guilt whenever i come across her. but i was glad. i was glad she helped me. but at that moment, i knew she would let go of my arm and walk back to her friend. 

after a stressed silence, however, she still hasn't. she kept her hold on my arm. the nice girl was quiet. the whole place had become quiet. and the nice girl's hand was getting cold.

"nadine, you don't need to-"

"you're not coming in here are you?"

"nadine-"

"you know what? our friendship is over, you hear that? i don't need people like you who wouldn't be on my side at times like this. maybe you're just like her. maybe you're also a bitch. or a cunt. or a slut," she scoffed. the nice girl's grip was getting tighter.

"just like all the time, huh? taking other people's side. saying you're not on anyone's side but you're obviously on their side. you're not going to change, are you? huh, giselle?

the day she met me, was the day she lost a long time friend. the day, her best friend, nadine johnsons, officially broke the friendship they've created for three years.

it was the day giselle blue, was first seen crying.