Chapter 4

I drew Scarlet & Hayden for you

Chapter Four

"OH, HELL NO."

Hayden barked a loud, dry laugh. "Do you want to die? I told you, my mom's a nurse. I know a few things, but I can't check you out in a car outside of a high school." He glanced at me through the rearview mirror and I crossed my arms to hide from the feeling of being on display without a shirt. "Besides, with the vague information you gave me, I have no idea if whoever attacked you today could come back to finish the job."

"Fine. Whatever." Silence followed, so I shifted my gaze outside and stared flurries of snow falling to the ground. I briefly considered the possibility of my mom wondering where I was, but dismissed the thought almost as soon as I had it. It was date night for her and my dad, and I only had a few months before I turned eighteen. I'd just send her a text saying I'm fine and at a friends house.

Ha. Friend.

"Where's your jacket?"

I glanced up in surprise when Hayden broke the record-breaking silence between us. "What?"

He gave me a look like I was stupid. "Where's your jacket? You know, the gray cloth with a hood and pockets? Usually worn for warmth?"

I glared. "Thank you, Hayden. If you hadn't told me, I never would have figured out what a fucking hoodie was."

"Jacket," he corrected, smirking smugly as he watched the road.

"Screw you."

"I'll pass this time." He winked at me again through the mirror, then laughed at the horrified expression on my face.

"Pig," I muttered, thankful he'd forgotten about his question. I yelped as the car came to an abrupt stop and shot my arms out in front of me to stop from ramming into the seat. Pain resonated all the way to my shoulders at the impact, and I clenched my teeth to keep from crying out. "What the hell was that for?"

A look of regret crossed his features as he noticed me cradling my injured side, but was quickly replaced with a stony expression. "We're here."

I grumbled profanities and attempted to climb out of the car. This, of course, only ended with me crying out in pain.

"Damn it, Scarlet," Hayden hissed, rushing around to my side to help me out of the car. He pulled my arm over his shoulder, then mumbled an apology before sliding a hand under my knee and picking me up. "You need to be more careful. We don't need you getting any more injuries than you already have."

I didn't bother with a reply, simply buried my face in the crook of his neck as I soaked it with hot, unwanted tears. All I could think about was the amount of pain I was in and wondering how my own blood could do such a thing to me.

Brothers are suppose to be there for you, not be the cause of your pain. They're supposed to love and protect you, not hate you and make it their life's mission to ruin yours as much as possible. What did I do to turn the most important person in my life against me? And not for the first time. I even managed to make Hayden despise me.

Am I that horrible?

"What?"

I lifted my head with furrowed eyebrows, only for my blurry eyes to meet Hayden's multicolored ones. "Huh?"

"Why did you say that?" he asked, a strange combination of frustration and pity flashing across his features. I didn't like it.

"I didn't say anything, Hayden."