Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

DINNER WENT BY pretty smoothly, all of us laughing and getting along while sharing old stories and new experiences of our own. I hadn't had much to say on the matter of new experiences, but I had plenty of old stories of the minor trio Hayden, Darrin, and I used to be. Overall, it was probably the most comfortable and relaxing dinner I'd had in years.

My relationship with my parents dampened after the abuse started. I hadn't meant for it to, but I couldn't spend time with them and look them both in the eye knowing that I was lying to them every second. They deserved to know what their son was up to, I knew, but I couldn't bring myself to shatter the image of a perfect family that they'd had. Especially my mom's. Darrin was her first child, and since we were little, I could tell she was far closer to him than she was to me. I don't think she ever meant for me to realize, or if she even knew it herself, but it was there.

I was torn from my thoughts as my phone's muffled ringtone chimed in my pocket. It couldn't have been anyone other than my mother or Darrin, and I truthfully felt the need to avoid them both for the time being. I was enjoying myself for once, there was no need for the light mood to be ruined by nagging or insulting comments. Hayden watched me curiously as I neglected to acknowledge the ringing until all that was left was silence from the device. "Who was that?"

I snorted and glanced up at him, absently pushing around the last little bit of steak on my plate with a fork. "If I knew you paid my phone bill, I'd have just given you the password."

He glared and stuffed a chunk of steak in his mouth. "My bad for being curious."

"Nosey," I corrected smugly. Despite my smart remark, I still found myself giving him some kind of an explanation—even if it was an untruthful one. I stabbed a fork through a piece of steak, but procrastinated bringing it to my mouth. I didn't have much in the way of an appetite the last few days. "If you must know, it was an unknown number."

"Well, why didn't you answer it?"

"I just said I didn't know it," I replied hotly. Irritation shown on his face, but one glance at Camille and it was clear she was on the verge of panic. The two of us shared a glance as she tipped her head just slightly enough towards the living room so that Hayden wouldn't notice. I scooted my chair back and stood, setting my fork on its' side with the chunk of steak still intact. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to use the bathroom."

I wasn't sure how Camille would find an excuse to come out here without Hayden noticing, but I knew she'd figure it out. Sure enough, no more than three minutes later, out came Camille with a stressed expression.

"How'd you get away?" I asked.

She shrugged. "I told him I was coming to check on you. Call him back."

For a moment, I was confused about who she'd been referring to. When I understood, I sent a strong glare her why. "Why?"

"Because," she sang condescendingly. "I want you to put him on speaker, but don't let him know I'm here." I considered questioning her again, but decided against it. Instead, I nodded and pulled my phone from my pocket. I hesitated before dialing the number and tapping the speaker option. It rang five times before he answered.

"Where are you?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at the rude, unexpected question. Camille flinched in surprise as she heard the hostile voice of my brother. After years of him being a gem, actually hearing proof of Darrin's behavior had to be a shock to Camille. "I already told you. I'm at Hayden's."