Chapter Thirty Nine

"Oh hi buddy!" I laugh happily as a male six year old beagle jumps up onto my lap and showers my neck in kisses, wet slobbery kisses. 

"Duke, come on bud let's get down," His owner, Melinda says with a laugh. She pulls his leash slightly and Duke gets the hint to get off me. I stand up and smile.

"No worries. Dog slobber is probably the best thing I could be covered with," I say with a smile. 

"Oh, I bet, especially with you guys being so busy. Thank you for taking Duke in, I'm just really worried about him. I've never seen that lump on the side of his leg before, it just came up," Melinda says and looks down to Duke. He's just sitting on the ground, panting and looking around.

"No worries! Duke is a pleasure to have here, he is such a sweet dog. Most likely that lump is nothing, probably just a small lump of fat that can easily be removed, let's get him weighed though," I say. Melinda nods and I lead Due and Melinda over to the dog weight machine. It's like a weight machine for humans, except the little step you stand on it about a foot and a half bigger since dogs can get pretty big. Melinda leads Duke onto the weight machine. The machine is electronic, so I don't have to play around with the weights and guess his approximate weight. After a few seconds, the display beeps twice, letting me know it is done, and a 25.13 pops onto the screen.

"Well, Duke is 25 pounds and 13 ounces. That is typically a little heavy for a dog, not too much of a worry though. Beagles generally weigh between 22 and 24 pounds. Only a pound overweight. If you would like to go take a seat, I am going to go fill out Duke's medical chart, adding his new weight to the chart and then I will let Dr. Carly know you two are ready!" I say and pat Duke on the head. Melinda nods in thanks and I head back over to receptionist desk and add Duke's new weight to his chart. I furrow my eyebrows and notice how he was here barely three months ago for a yearly checkup and only weighed 23.15 pounds. That means in three months duke gained almost two entire pounds, which is a lot for a beagle to gain, because beagles can be very active. I pick up Duke's chart and walk into the hallway towards examination room 4, which is where Dr. Carly usually is. The door is open and I see Dr. Carly typing up something on her laptop. Dr. Carly is a short women, only 5 foot tall, but she can pack a powerful punch. I've seen her lift a Great Dane off the floor and onto the operating table before. She is strong, and she usually keeps her curly black hair in a bun. She has a small birthmark right above her lip, and it is almost in the shape of a heart, which I have always liked about her. As she sees me walk into the room, I hand her the chart and smile softly.

"Duke's weight seems a bit off. He's gained nearly two pounds in about three months. He's hear because he's got a lump about four centimeters long on his right front leg. I think his weight gain might have something to do with the lump? Could it be a Lipoma?" I tell Dr. Carly and she looks over his chart a little more. 

"Yes, I believe you are right Charlie. Bring Duke in, I want you to be in here with me, I think standing in during this examination can really help you," Dr. Carly says. I nod with a wide smile growing on my face. I rarely get to stand in on an appointment, especially since the clinic has gotten so swamped lately. I walk out of examination room 4, and walk down the hallway into the waiting room. 

"Melinda and Duke, Dr. Carly is ready to see you now please. I will lead you guys back there," I tell Melinda. She smiles and stands up. At her sudden movement, Duke stands up as well and looks up towards his owner. Duke starts to walk with Melinda as she walks towards me. As she gets to me I hold the door open for her and once she is in the hallway I close the door and lead her to examination room 4. Dr. Carly smiles as they walk in and shakes Melinda's hand. 

"Come on up here Duke bud," Dr Carly says and pats the examination table. There are little doggy steps that lead onto the table and Duke is hesitant at first, but after a few seconds he steps onto the examination table. Dr. Carly presses a button on the side of the table and the table lifts slightly, about a foot up, so that she can examine Duke at her level.