Chapter 25

Blue and white balloons hung from the gate as I pulled into Calum's driveway for Daniel's birthday party. I parked and took the gift I brought from the passenger seat, walking up to the door. I didn't even need to knock anymore, and I waltzed right in.

Streamers draped the across the ceiling all the way down the hall. I opened the sliding glass door in the kitchen and stepped outside where more balloons floated, attached to chairs and tables. Blue table cloths spread across a few fold out tables, each set up with a beautiful blue centerpiece featuring a different photo of Daniel at each one. Off to the side, a long, rectangular table was covered in bowls of chips, pretzels, cheese puffs, and other snacks. In the center was a big ninja turtle themed cake, with the four turtles poking out from under a manhole cover. Written in green icing was 'Happy 5th Birthday Daniel'.

A piñata shaped like Thomas the tank engine was strung up from the tree that supported the treehouse. A small bounce house had been blown up in the back by Daniel's toys. Even his swing set was decorated with blue and white streamers and balloons.

I placed my present on top of a pile of other colorfully wrapped packages, then approached where Calum stood by a table, admiring the centerpiece.

"This looks incredible." I said to Calum, hugging him from behind. "Did you do all this?"

"Oh please!" Someone scoffed from behind me, causing me to jump. I turned around to see Emma, who had just come out of the house, carrying a cooler of drinks, "Like Calum could pull this off." She laughed, putting the cooler down by the refreshment table.

"She's right. There's no way I could have done all of this." Calum agreed.

"So did you do this?" I asked Emma.

She nodded, "Yep! Well, Livi and I both did." She pointed to the house, where Livi emerged, a large cardboard box in hand.

She put it down on another table, then wiped her hands off on her black jeans, sighing with relief. "I think that's everything." She noticed me, "Oh hi Ellie!"

"Wow you made the pregnant woman carry a heavy box. Great job guys." I rolled my eyes with a laugh.

"Sorry." Calum shrugged.

Livi flicked her hand, "It's fine, I handled it."

"What's inside?" I asked, peering into the box.

Livi started to pull out the contents, "Just some silly string, glow sticks, paper plates, noisemakers, and other party essentials." She said, "Oh and I grabbed a couple of photo albums." She placed two binders out of the box.

"Wow, so do you decorate parties often?" I joked.

Livi shrugged, "Here and there. My design background helps." She started to set the tables with the plastic cutlery.

"Design background?"

She nodded, "Got my degree in it. I used to set up photo shoots, all the props and stuff. That's how I met Michael and the boys. Now I just do interior design, with a party thrown in there sometimes."

"Livi does all the designing, I just help." Emma said, draping her arm around her friend's shoulders, "We're the perfect team." They high fived.