Mate Manual -- Chapter 3

King Devaire Roché wasn't anything like I thought he'd be. He was pretty crude in private and I kept laughing at his stupid jokes. And I couldn't help but notice he was just as handsome as his son, and they looked so much alike except the King had some grey hair on the sides.

We woke up later in the morning and Aaron told me the Queen wanted to meet me during lunch. I remained silent trying to absorb everything. Yesterday I was working in my office and today I am not sure what's happening.

We got ready and met the King and Queen for lunch. I mean freaking lunch! I couldn't put off meeting his parents any longer. And if I had my way my mate would never meet mine.

The King and Queen were looking at me and evaluating my fitness as the mate of their son. The Queen started eating a little delicately and I just waited for the barrage of questions.

"So Lange, tell us about yourself," the Queen ventured.

I swallowed the salad I was eating and started to tell them about myself. It was pretty intimidating sitting at the same table as the King and Queen, but Aaron took my hand and squeezed in support.

"I am part of the Pacific Tide pack in the Northwest, I work for Mates Inc. as a matchmaker, I like to cook and finished my degree in Business at Oregon State." I looked thoughtful for a moment and nodded like that was all I had to say. I assumed they had a full dossier on me, and I liked my life, I was proud of my life- well my public life.

The Queen was not to be thwarted and continued, "And what about hobbies, what do you like to do?

I nervously played with the napkin on my lap, there was no way I was telling them about my stupid book. "I volunteer a few hours to support a group that helps kids in hospitals make crafts and get their minds off their illnesses. I also like to go to the theater and golf a little with friends." I hoped that was enough.

"Well Lange, let's get together for lunch tomorrow and we can also do some shopping and get better acquainted."

I took a drink of water and nodded my head 'yes'. "That sounds wonderful, ma'am," I responded politely. I didn't know what to call her.

"Oh please call me Meri, it's short for Merigold. My mother loved those flowers."

I nodded 'yes' and just sat there.

"So," the King said to the Prince changing the subject, "What're your plans for this next week?" It turns out that the Prince did most of the traveling and enforcement of Pack Law.

The Prince chewed slowly and thought for a few moments. I was finished eating and sat enjoying my coffee.

"Well Father, I'm taking Lange with me to the Slovenia Summit where I can start to show her about... diplomacy." The Prince turned to me explaining further, "The area Alphas get a chance to meet with me to discuss regional conflicts before they escalate. The region is pretty flammable and unstable, the pack wars there go back centuries, and I like to try to diffuse tensions every year about this time."

The Prince sat back and drank some more of his coffee. He looked at me for my response. "I'd like to go, I've never been to Slovenia. In fact I have no idea where it is." I thought for a moment and added, "Will the Peacemaker be joining us?" I had heard of the Peacemaker of course, and asked about her. She was pretty famous.

The King nodded his head, "The Peacemaker was a great idea, Aaron. The 'female' side of negotiating forces the aggressive Alphas to cool their jets, they seem to want to impress her. And she never tolerated any bullshit."