A Royal Summons -- Part 2

"Drink?" he asked civilly as both of them just stared and watched the Prince pour their favorite liquor. The Prince walked over to each of them and handed them their drinks.

"Sit, please," he commanded and they both walked to a sofa and sat down, still in shock and just stared at their Prince. "Lange will be joining us soon. She tires now that she's expecting."

'Expecting? That's so wonderful', Emma thought before her anger returned. Emma just sipped her drink.

"We made you Royal Protectors today," the Prince said, stating the obvious.

'Careful', Lance said to Emma through the link.

"We noticed, Prince," is all Emma could say as she tossed back her drink and set down her glass. "I don't remember that ceremony being performed for several generations."

The Prince smiled thinly as he sat back and looked at his former operative. Oh, she was much more than that before... before all of the 'mess'. The Prince pointed toward her bloody chest with his drink and said, "That will leave a scar." It was like the Prince was deliberately provoking her, and Lance decided to watch this little act play out.

He needed to find out what was happening here. Lance had kept up with the inner workings of the court. He had heard rumors of the Prince losing control more often than in the past, and wanted to see for himself. But he needed to keep his mate safe.

Emma slapped her hands next to her on the sofa and stood up to pace the back of the room. Running her hands through her hair and becoming very agitated. Her wolf was still hurt also and it was hard to keep her under control. But Emma kept thinking of prison, she had no desire to be sent back.

Finally stopping, she snarled her lip and accused the Prince, "You are testing me and I don't like it, My Prince. I've made it abundantly clear I want to be left alone."

'Abundantly?' frowned Lance thinking to himself. 'What does she mean?'

"You've ignored or refused every communique, Emma. What was I supposed to do?"

"Let me live my life!" She shouted.

"Careful, Emma, I have my limits- even with you." The Prince stood and walked to the door, and ushered in the Princess.

"Thanks Aaron," she said to him and cupped his cheek. She could sense his rising anger and wanted to soothe him, calm his wolf.

Emma bowed to her former friend, "Your Highness."

And Lance immediately stood, bowed and said, "Princess." They all stood awkwardly in this loose circle, looking at each other. The Prince and Emma with fury in their eyes, and the Princess and Lance with a sort of weary curiosity.

The Princess went to sit in a high-backed chair and crossed her legs elegantly. "Emma, it's good to see you."

"I was... escorted here," she said bitterly while remaining standing. Lance casually walked over to a nearby couch and took another drink, while the Prince sat in a chair next to his mate.

All eyes were on Emma, and she was magnificently furious. It came down to this, how she was corralled into her past actions. How she didn't have any real choices which led to her imprisonment.

How she was forced to end all her friendships because she was the ONLY ONE who could accomplish her mission. And she hated them all for it and couldn't let it go.