Chapter 3

Mayas POV

I stood in the living room talking to Smackle.

"Oh boy here comes my third wheel." Smackle looks behind me

"Hey Maya. Hey Smackle." Lucas walks up behind me.

"Lucas you need to get over this. Me and you. It's never gonna happen." Smackle says

"God Lucas take a hint" I say seriously.

"I hate you" he laughs

"I know."

"Hey can I borrow Maya for a minute," Charlie walks up to us.

"Oh um sure" I say as I walk away with him.

We sat down at the bay window. We sat in silence for what felt like forever.

"So I want to ask you if I can be Riley's first kiss." He says and I let out a laugh. "What's so funny?"

"It's a little late for that Charlie. Lucas was her first kiss last year." I say with a shrug.

"Friar," he mumbles. "Doesn't that bother you?"

"No," I laugh "not at all."

"Well it should."

"Charlie stop trying to create drama that doesn't need to be created. Riley had her first kiss deal with it. Get over it." I roll my eyes.

"Whatever," he scoffs before getting up and walking away.

I looked out the window and watched as people rushed around below us. Getting to their New Years parties.

"Is this seat taken?" I look up to see Josh.

"Nope," I give him a small smile.

He sits down next to me, pretty close to I may add.

"So what's the deal with that creepy kid and your cowboy?" He asks

"Huckleberry and Charlie don't like each other. They never had." I say

"But why?"

"Well lucas assumed that he and Riley were going to the semi formal together but Riley didn't know and then Charlie asked her and she said yes and lucas got upset. They've been competing ever since. It gets annoying." I explain.

"You guys have a lot of drama for eighth graders," he says

"Tell me about it." I giggle.

"You never answered my question from before," he shoves my shoulder.

"Which one?"

"The one where i asked if you and howdy were a thing now." He looks at me.

I let out a sigh and look down. He grabs my face between his hands to I can look at him.

"You can talk to me," his eyes are almost pleading for me to answer him.

I smile.

"Keep looking at me."

He lets out a laugh.

"I wasn't planning on stopping anytime soon," he lets go of my face "sorry I forgot about you and lucas."

"Ranger Rick and I are best friends. Nothing more nothing less." I tell him.

He looks down and I can faintly see a smile on his face.

"Why did you want to know to badly?" I ask

"Just curious. No one was giving me a straight answer." He shrugs and my heart sinks. I almost thought he cared.