Chapter 7

Maya's POV

I walked into history classes with my head down. When I got to my seat and looked up I was shocked to see Uncle Eric and Josh.

Josh gave me a small smile that I returned to him. Riley and lucas walk in together and Zay slowly follows. Soon everyone is sitting in their seats look up at Mr. Matthews.

"You are probably wondering why I'm here-" uncle Eric yells

"Not now you idiot" Mr. Matthews says.

The class laughs.

"What is the secret of life?" Cory asks "Maya?"

"People change people" I say without hesitation.

"Correct. You have all changed each other one way or another. You've all changed one way or another. You can't control change."

"What if change is something you're afraid of?" Smackle asks

"A lot of people are afraid of change. But there is nothing you can do to stop something or someone from changing."

"Why are you mad at me?" Riley turns around in her seat to ask me.

I roll my eyes.

"I'm not talking about this." I say bluntly.

"She didn't do anything Maya." Lucas defends.

"Listen lucas, for once in your life stay out of my business. This is between Riley and I okay? So leave me alone," I snap.

The class grows silent. Everyone knows I don't call lucas by his actual name. I always have some nickname up my sleeve to call him.

"Shouldn't you just tell her?" Farkle asks

"No Farkle. I shouldn't. If she really cared for me she would've noticed that something was wrong a long time ago," I look at Farkle.

He was the only one who knew. He knew why I was really upset.

"Change can mean a caterpillar becoming a butterfly. Change can also mean that people grow apart." Mr. Matthews continues.

"You may be wondering why-" Eric starts again.

"Just wait" Cory says.

"If it concerns Riley then it concerns me," lucas says

"No it doesn't! My god lucas! Not everything Riley does has to concern you just because you're her boyfriend!"

"If it just concerns Riley then why are you ignoring me?" Zay asks

"I-I don't know" I mumble.

"Now Eric."

We all look at Eric who is spinning in Mr. Matthews chair.

"Eric!" Josh calls

Eric stops and stands up. He stumbles in front of Darby.

"Listen Mishi-" he starts.

"She's over here uncle Eric," Riley says

"Oh"

He walks away from Darby and stands in front of the class.

"I know what you're going through Mishi."

"No you don't. No one gets it." I say

"Why didn't you come to me once you knew something was wrong?" Josh blurts out.

"I don't know! Farkle was the first person that came to mind!" I run a hand through my hair.

I felt like I was being attacked right now.