Chapter 2

The editor with a sophisticated face and big glasses stared intently at the draft she was handed with much enthusiasm from Jeremy. She nodded her head every now and let out a 'hmmm' at almost every page. After a few minutes, she kept the draft down and looked at jeremy, her hands placed firmly on the table.

"What do you think of your work, young man?"

"Umm..." said Jeremy, fiddling with his fingers. "I love it?"

She nodded her head.

"You're in luck, then. I love it too."

"Oh my god, really? I was nervous ...."

Snap.

Jeremy's sentence was stopped midway as the lady snapped her fingers with a serious expression on her face.

"I just said that I loved it. Never told ya that I would publish it. It needs a hell lot of work done. You really have to work on your descriptions. And the conversations between your characters? God save them if they ever have to talk for a long time."

"What do you suggest I do?"

"We'll set you up with someone very esteemed from our publishing house," responded the lady, and opened a few drawers and began to search frantically for some paper. Not finding it on thr shelves palced next to her, she headed inside a small chamber that was located at the back of the room. Agatha returned after about ten minutes with a file in her hand. She kept in on the table and signaled at Jeremy to open it. Jeremy's face froze as he saw his editor's picture.

"Meredith Penelope Heartnett. She's one of our biggest assets, and her writing is simply brilliant. She'll be your editor."

Jeremy remained silent for a while. Then he looked up.

"You look shocked. Something the matter?"

Jeremy stammered for a while, before finally responding.

"No, ma'am," he replied, with a smile on his face. "There is no problem at all."

The lady smiled.

"Good. She's a darling, lemme tell you. She'll help absolutely anyone. Now, whatever you do, do not ask her why she is so sad, why she doesn't smile that often and certainly do not ask her who the man in the picture is. Don't stare as well. It'll hurt her."

Jeremy nodded his head.

"Yes, ma'am. When do I get to meet her?"

"I'll call her now and set up a meeting."

"Thank you, ma'am."

Jeremy got up to leave; when the lady's bold voice stopped him.

"Jeremy."

He turned around.

"Yes, ma'am?"

The lady got up and walked to him. She kept her hands on his shoulder and looked straight into his eyes.

"Ma'am..." said Jeremy, surprised.

"Meredith's lost someone very dear to her. It was a huge blow in her life, boy. She's lost her love for life. Make her smile if you can."

"Smile? Hell, I'll make her laugh."

The lady smiled.

"Good luck, boy."

"Thank you, ma'am."

Jeremy pulled the doors and walked out proudly. With a big grin on his face, he headed towards the car.

"What're you so happy about, wimp?"

"The universe loves me Sue!"

"Oh yeah? Did she accept your work?"