Chapter 9

“AMNESIA??? THAT DOUCHE HAS AMNESIA?!”

“Quiet down, Susan. Yes, apparently he does. I haven’t spoken to Jeremy and I know it’s really late. Thank you for coming.”

“Ugh. Why are you thanking me? I gotta go to him. Where is he?!”

“In his room. But be careful. He’s still throwing things around.”

“Uh-huh.” Replied Susan, nodding at Jeremy’s father.

Three hours had passed since Jeremy’s ‘episode’, and his father thought that it would be wise to call Sue over. After all, she was probably the only one he would listen to given the situation. Susan slowly made her way through and opened the door.

“Wimp? Hey, you okay? It’s only me.”

There was no response, and Susan walked into a huge mess, almost resembling rubble after an earthquake. She walked as softly as possible and sat down beside Jeremy.

“Wimp?” she said.

Jeremy just looked at her and smiled.

“What are you doing here Sue? It’s late. Go home.”

“Shut up, wimp. You need me right now. Here I am. Now, will you please tell me your secret? Your room has never been cleaner.”

Jeremy’s smile became a little broader.

“I discovered the truth about Patrick.”

“Yeah, I heard. Sucks, wimp. It sucks.” She replied, patting his shoulders.

Jeremy sighed.

“It sure does.”

“Clearly, you’re pissed. But I don’t get it. Shouldn’t you be happy? I mean, if the douche’s got amnesia, then that means Mer’s all yours. Come on, wimp! Why the sad face?”

“You don’t get it, Sue. He’s got amnesia. That’s not his fault. That’s nobody’s fault. Taking Mer from him would be …. I don’t know …. Wrong. What if he remembers and then comes here and takes her away? Who am I to stop her then?! I’m no one, Sue. I’m no one. All this while I was under the impression that he left her and went away. But now it all makes sense. He didn’t leave her, Sue. He was forced to. To prevent any more trauma, he went away. I’m sure of it. So, it’s really not his fault. That’s why Mer is so depressed all the time. Because she doesn’t know what to believe. Part of her wants to believe that he will remember and the other part knows that he won’t …”

He turned around to look at Sue; whose jaw had dropped in the most comical way.

“I’m not joking here. Erase that expression off your face!” he screamed.

“SHUT UP, WIMP. NOW I TALK AND YOU LISTEN TO ME. UNDERSTOOD?!”

Susan’s voice reverberated, making it sorta like one of those scary voices from horror movies. You know you’re in trouble when you don’t listen to that voice. Jeremy just swallowed and nodded his head.

Susan stood up and sat on his bed and signaled him to turn round, still sit on the ground and listen to her.

“First of all, all the situations you’re talking about could be purely hypothetical. I mean, stop trying to act like you know what’s gonna happen or you think you know what a person is feeling. JUST STOP THAT. Maybe the amnesia wasn’t Patrick’s fault, but what happened afterwards certainly was. He could have fought and stayed back. Think about it. If you lost your memory, won’t you stay back to try and figure out who your are and maybe everything that you’ve lost?! But Patrick didn’t stay. He’s not a baby anymore. He’s a grown man. He can stand up for himself. But he didn’t. He chose to go away. THAT, WIMP; IS HIS FAULT! Yea, it’s sad and totally unfair that Mer’s heart broke because of that douche. But you know what? Stop trying to see things from his perspective. It doesn’t matter! He doesn’t remember her. But she remembers him. I think of it in this way. Mer’s heart was broken so that it could be fixed by you. Her heart broke and lost hope on love only so that you could come and show her heart the meaning of true love. YOU UNDERSTAND?! So please, stop trying to act crazy and just tell her what you feel!”

She took a deep breath after that and looked at him intently.

“Wimp?” she said after a long pause.

Jeremy got up slowly and began to clear the place.

“That’s it?! You’re not even gonna smile or something? Wimp, I need to know if you understood what I told you.”

Jeremy stopped and looked at his best friend, a smile coming over his lips.

“Thanks, Sue. Love you.”

“I’ll take that as a yes. Now, my job’s done. I gotta go home and sleep. Night, wimp.”

“Night, Sue.”

Susan walked out of this room, happy and content with herself. Jeremy continued cleaning, when his cell rang all of a sudden. It was Lucas.

“You’re up late, Luke. What up?”

“Check this out. I dug deeper into Patrick’s life. I found something interesting.”

Jeremy cleared a little space and sat down.

“Okay. What is it?”

“In here it says that he’s married.”

“WHAT?!”

“Yeah. To a Katie Evans. Two years now. Weird, ain’t it? He can’t recall a thing about Meredith. And then he goes abroad and falls for this Katie Evans and ends up marrying her! You better marry Mer soon!” joked Lucas.

“Katie Evans? You’re sure that was the name?”

“Yeah, 100% bro. Why?”

“Nothing. Thanks, man.”

Jeremy threw all the things in his hand and ran to his cupboard. He took out a box and opened it. In it were many pictures of him and friends in their schooldays, and after digging a while, he found his yearbook. He searched desperately through it, till a name caught his attention.

It was a very pretty girl, with hazel eyes and jet black hair. Under the picture was the name, in bold letters.

KATHERINE EVANS.

Jeremy couldn’t believe his eyes for a second.

Patrick married Katie!

He ran across the room to his cell. He dialed Sue’s number.

“What up wimp?”

“You remember Katie from high school?”

“Katie Evans? Of course I do! Why? What about her?”

Jeremy hesitated for a while before he spoke.

“She’s married to Patrick.”

He could hear Sue’s car come to screeching halt.

“WHAT?!”

“Yeah, Luke just found out. Sue, Patrick and Katie ….”

“Does Mer know?”

“I doubt it. I don’t wanna be the one to tell her, though.”

“Trust me; she’s better off when she learns it from you.”

“I’ll think about it. Drive safe.”

“Will do.”

Both the phones were kept down, and Jeremy still couldn’t believe what he had just learnt. Then, something struck him. He took his yearbook, and went to the last page. A few sheets were placed there, safe and sound with everyone’s numbers. He scanned the sheet and found the name he was looking for. He dialed it.

“Hello?”

“Hello, this is Jeremy. May I speak to Katie?”

“I’m Katie. And Jeremy? Wait, do I know you?”

“You don’t remember? We were in high school together.”

There was a long pause when Katie finally answered.

“OH MY GOD! JEREMY BUTLER! How are you, Jeremy? It’s been such a long time. What are you doing right now??? Where are you? We’ve got so much to talk about!”

Jeremy smiled.

“Yeah, we sure have a lot to talk about.” He replied, with only one thing in mind.

I will keep Meredith safe.