Chapter 10 - Part II

10 hours ago

Meredith was teary eyed as she bid her mother farewell. Clinging to her like a little girl would, Mer held onto to her mother for quite sometime.

“Come on now, dear. Enough with the tears! I’m not running away now, am I? Just letting you take on the world by yourself. You’re ready for it.”

“Mum! I’ll miss you so much!”

“I’ll miss you too, honey.”

Fresh tears began flowing from Mer’s cheeks as her mother’s grip on her arms tightened.

“Now, now. Be strong. I’d understand if you were sixteen. But you’re twenty three, aren’t you?”

Meredith’s mother was not like most others. She believed in strengthening her children. She believed in letting them experience the world on their own, and that shielding them from evil for a long time would only spoil them. Needless to say, she was quite stern in her approach towards raising her two children. Despite being a single mother, Angela stayed strong for her children’s sake. She never let the water wash her away from her goals. She expected the same from her daughter, Meredith.

Mer smiled through her tears.

“Yes, mother. I’ll stay strong.”

“That’s my girl. Now, where on earth is your brother?”

“Oh, Mike has gone out.”

“Oh well. Bless that child. So then, I’ll see you soon, okay?”

“Bye, mum.” Replied Meredith, hugging Angela one last time.

She turned around only to see that her son was standing ahead, grinning with a bouquet of flowers in hand.

“Michael my boy! Thank you so much. I’ll see you later, then?”

“Yes, ma’am.” Replied Mike, hugging his mum.

Angela slowly walked down the steps and got into the cab standing in front of the house. Minutes later, she was pacing ahead on the road; while Mer and Mike sat in their drawing room silently.

“Okay. No editing today, eh?” said Michael, breaking the eerie silence.

“Not sure, Mike. Jeremy’s not answering his phone.”

Mike sighed.

“Well. Only the two of us then. What do you wanna do?”

“What do you mean? Don’t you wanna hang out with your friends?”

“Uh, of course I do. But today’s day is dedicated to you. So, what do you wanna do?”

“Oh how sweet of you brother dear!”

“Don’t push it.” Replied Michael, trying to put on a serious expression.

Meredith laughed.

“‘Kay. Let’s … I dunno … watch a movie or something?”

“Fine by me.”

“Good. I’ll select the movie.”

Michael smiled and nodded his head in acknowledgement as Meredith walked over to the CD shelf. Picking a disc at random, she walked back to the television and loaded the film in. but just as she got up to sit on the couch, her phone began to ring.

****

Jeremy’s face had an expression of sheer boredom and desperation. Katie had been speaking to him for the past hour, not stopping even once to take a breath. It was almost morning, and as if his drooping eyelids closing in desperate need of sleep weren’t enough, Katie kept screaming every other minute in excitement. Unable to bear the torture, Jeremy decided to interrupt her.

“Umm… Katie? I have to go now. Talk to you later.”

Not bothered by the time or the place where he was, Jeremy just dropped on the floor, fast asleep. His room was looking a little cleaner than before, but remnants of thrown things were still strewn around. Unknown to him, Sue was in his house, talking to his father.

“Okay, Mr. Butler. I’ll give him the message. Happy and safe journey.” She replied as Jeremy’s father walked out of the house.

Susan sighed as she picked up her phone to give someone important a ring.

Please pick up, Mer, she thought as her fingers dialed a familiar number.

****

“Sue? Whaddup?”

“I gotta talk to you, Mer.”

“Sure! Where do we meet up?”

“I’ll drop by at around five in the evening. That okay?”

“Yep, fine by me.”

Meredith kept her phone down with a confused expression.

What does Sue wanna talk about?