Chapter 3

[A/N: This chapter has been re-written. The comments by @roadrats is for the previous one. Please do tell me if there are errors of any sort. Thank you!]

“Jeremy Eugene Butler! Stop acting like you’re a girl who’s getting married tonight! It’s just a meeting with Meredith,” Sue’s voice echoed through Jeremy’s house, as he jumped around; struggling to wear his shoes.

“Shut up Susan! It’s Meredith we’re talking about. She doesn’t even remember that I know her! Of course I’m bloody nervous. And who the heck told ya that only soon-to-be-brides have the license to be nervous?! Anybody can be nervous…” his voice trailed away as Sue sighed.

“Here we go again.”

Jeremy came out of his room five minutes later, dressed in a simple jeans and a shirt that read in big bold letters “NEVER GIVE UP”. Sue stared at it for a while and then looked up.

“What’re you trying to do? Make a statement?”

“Hey. Easy there, tiger. It’s just a shirt.”

“For you it is. Now the whole damn road’s gonna read what’s written on your shirt and think that we’re going there only to pacify Meredith and make her love life again.”

“Isn’t that what we are going for?”

“What? So now, she’s more important that your work?”

Jeremy didn't respond. Sue just looked around shaking her head.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean that."

"I know," replied Jeremy, "it just happens."

“Let’s go then. You’ve got everything you need, right pal?”

Jeremy looked at Susan blankly. His chocolate brown hair was all messed up, and his brownish-black eyes showed obvious nervousness. Despite standing at a height of six feet, the whole world seemed bigger than him now. He hadn’t worn his jacket this time, and his muscular arms tensed as Sue looked on with surprise.

“Calm down, wimp. I’m pretty sure Mer’s not cannibalistic.”

"Huh? Stop talking nonsense. I know she's not a cannibal. I'm just .."

Sue let out a soft sigh before speaking, "It'll be fine, Jeremy. After all, she doesn't recognize us. We know her, don't we? I'm sure it'll take her a little while before she fully recognises us."

"By little while you mean four years?" retorted Jeremy, with a look of pain on his face.

"Look, I know it's been hard ever since we came here. But we're all doing our best, aren't we? I know letting her go with Patrick was the wrong thing to do considering all that's happened. But you cannot blame him for going away! He had no choice, Jeremy."

"We always have a choice, Sue. Patrick simply picked the wrong one."

Sue walked forward and placed her hands on Jeremy's shoulders reassuringly and smiled.

"Now, now. Don't get worked up, okay? We promised Mer's mum that we'd fix this for everyone. Trust me, once she figures out everything, she'll be fine."

"The last time she nearly figured out everything, they sent her back to that place. That is excatly what I don't want Sue!"

"Then this time things will be different. We won't let her go there. The doctor did say that the best treatment for her is to stay close to her friends. By friends he means us, Jeremy."

"What if Patrick decides to come out of nowhere and confuse her?"

Sue's hands dropped from Jeremy's shoulder as she crossed them and stood firmly infront of him, leaning slightly on one knee.