Chapter 5

Meredith’s heart was racing. She was panting as she picked up the phone’s receiver.

“Hello?”

“Meredith! Are you alright, dearie? Did you run?”

“Never mind Mrs. Buckley. What do you need?”

“I just called to ask you how you are, Meredith.”

Meredith became silent. Her heart was pounding, and she was desperate to ask Mrs. Buckley something that had been eating her alive for the past five years. She opened her mouth to say something, but nothing came out.

“Patrick’s fine, Meredith. We plan to come home next year.” Said Mrs. Buckley all of a sudden.

“What? Why?!”

“Patrick wants to come home, dear.”

Meredith banged the receiver down. Tears were flowing down her pale cheeks. Michael was standing at the door. When she looked up, he was smiling.

“It’ll be fine, Mer.”

“Is Betty back from her business trip?” said Meredith, turning around to walk towards her room. Susan stood silently next to Michael.

“Nope. She’ll be back tomorrow though. Anything the matter?” he replied.

“If she calls and I’m not around, tell her I’ve decided to forget him forever. How dare he come back after what he did to me?!”

Michael took a few steps forward and stopped.

“Patrick’s coming home?”

“Next year.”

Saying that, she barged into her room and closed the door. Michael turned around and looked at Susan.

“Not a word to Jeremy.”

“I promise.” She replied, as she went out.

***

“For the love of god. Will ya shut up bro?!”

Lucas laughed.

“Come on Jeremy! You; and a writer?! All that we thought you were capable of was punching people. Remember when that dude in college accused your girlfriend? You jumped at him and later it took us five people to get ya off of him! Ya think ya can become a writer?”

“I don’t think. I know. Now, will you help me or not?”

“Alright, champ. What do ya need me for?”

“Use your connections and find me a Patrick who used to live in this town.”

“Okay. That narrows it down to almost any male in this place. Gimme more details, ya genius!”

Jeremy fell silent.

“Lemme guess. You don’t know anything else about him, do you?” Lucas added.

Jeremy shook his head. He looked up and sighed.

“I just need to know who he is.”

Lucas nodded his head.

“Alright. Gimme some time, I’ll see what I can do.”

“Thanks, bro.” replied Jeremy as he went out of the old warehouse.

The cool night wind was blowing, and the stars were really very bright in the sky. Jeremy put his hand up and covered the north star with his palm. Smiling, he took his cell and called Sue.

“Susan. Where on earth are you?”

“I just left Mer’s house. I’m going home. Where are you?”