Chapter Thirty-One

Warnings: A re-cap of the harrowing demon fight scene from chapter twenty-nine, maybe not quite as scary but still. You'll know when it's coming from memory but I'll still put a bolded letter at the start of the questionable scene. Thank u

*Dan's POV*

Working alongside Chris and Pj had proved to be less glorified than the mysterious machinery and exciting sci-fi lab had made it out to be. Sure, of course I'd had fun, but it was less futuristic scientist and more backyard experimental meth lab as I watched their results feed back as a failure time and time again.

By the time I left the room it looked like a decent-sized tornado had charged its way through the room and everything inside of it. The multitude of things Chris had left haphazardly around the room, the smoke and unnamed substances smeared across every substance courtesy of Pj, it all left my own personal contribution to the mess rather unnoticeable.

Sure, the one thing I happened to fumble and drop happened to be a beaker filled with dangerous toxic substances that meant we all had to clear out of the room for a few minutes, but after the air had cleared it really hadn't seemed like such a big deal anymore. Granted, being the guest they hadn't ordered me to clean the mess up, so maybe my opinion on it had ended up a tad skewed.

Not that I could bring myself to feel guilty about that though, not when I'd just been chased out of the room with Chris wildly waving ectoplasm on the end of a stick at me. I'd just ducked around the corner into the hallway with heavy pants huffing past my lips, doubling over and clutching at my stomach. It wasn't until a few seconds later that I realized I was having difficulty drawing full breaths because I was laughing so hard and not because of the exercise I'd just been forced into. A fond knowing smile creeped its way across my lips as I straightened back out, still giggling softly as I peered around the edge of the door frame to check how things had ended up for my assailant.

Chris was currently hanging his head as Pj screeched loudly in front of him, some passionate rant about how they 'couldn't be wasting materials on tormenting innocent people' or something of the like. If anything I felt a little bit bad for the guy, distractedly stumbling closer without even really noticing the fact that I was advancing. I gave a breathy laugh as I reached their sides and they both looked up at me, propping an elbow against Chris's shoulder and using him as a rest in an attempt to lighten the moment a bit.

"Aw, come on, Peej, we were only playing around." I argued quietly, standing up for the sheepish man standing beside me despite my better judgment. It's not like he deserved my compassion by any means, but I couldn't bring myself to stand by without saying something. He was usually such a carefree guy it felt almost wrong to see him feeling anything but, no matter how annoying his usual smartass self would grow to be the second he'd returned.

Pj looked like he was about to oppose this and start to chastise me as well, but whatever he'd been about to say died on his tongue when he looked up to meet my gaze. He coughed, eyes going wide as he bit down on his tongue to keep from saying anything. I quirked an eyebrow, giving an uncomfortable chuckle as I waited on him to elaborate.

Chris turned to study me as well, clearly curious what was going on. Where Pj had seemed unsettled and uncertain how to approach the situation, Chris was only lurched into a state of immense amusement. He managed to stifle the laughter for only a fraction of a second before he was throwing his head back and cackling loudly.

Now I was beginning to panic a bit, glaring at Pj and silently demanding some form of explanation. What was so off about my appearance that it'd warrant these reactions? My hair was likely starting to curl considering the damp air I'd been out in and all of the running around I'd done today, but what are the chances that they'd find that so entertaining?