Chapter Forty-Seven

A/n: lol remember last chapter when I said I was finishing this by the end of October? I meant October 2018, so very sorry for the confusion. Also... the spice I mentioned last chapter has been pushed back until chapter 48, but I promise you won't have to wait four months for it and also there's a lil bit of Spice Foreshadowing in this chapter. 

*Phil's POV*

I woke up late into the day, judging by the heavy light streaming in through the curtains. Clumsily lifting my hands and rubbing at my eyes, I kicked a foot out across the mattress only to frown when it didn't come into contact with anything. My eyes fluttered open then, gazing curiously at the stretch of bed next to me where Dan should have been asleep. That was odd.

"Dan?" I called, sitting up slowly. I eyed the room warily, grabbing my phone and checking the time. It was well after noon, way later than I normally would have been able to sleep. I'd been tired and beyond stressed lately, but 2pm was a little much even for me. "Dan! You around?"

"I'll be there in a sec, just give me a moment!" Dan called back, his voice surprisingly chipper. I relaxed slightly, sinking back into the pillows and waiting expectantly. I couldn't help but wonder why Dan hadn't woken me up before now, if he just felt bad about all that I was going through or what, but I'd be able to ask him when he got here.

I was staring impatiently toward the doorway when Dan traipsed through it, holding a tray stacked with a leaning tower of pancakes. He grinned when our eyes locked, a full-fledged dimpled smile that had me blushing and sinking even further back into the bedding. "Happy birthday!"

The realization hit me rather abruptly, my sleepy-state disappearing in an instant and replaced by a childish excitement for the day ahead. I'd been so stressed this past week, on edge by how weirdly quiet the demon had been, the hype for my birthday had withered away almost completely. It was back almost completely now though, as I watched Dan set the tray down on the bedside table and promptly collapse on top of me. I chuckled, shoving him aside onto the empty stretch of mattress, my stomach growling all the while as I eyed the food.

"For me?" I asked sweetly, when I noticed he was glaring up at me from where his face had ended up shoved into the pillows. When he replied, his voice was muffled by the fabric, but the fondness that shone through was as clear as day.

"Obviously." Dan giggled, sitting up and reaching over me to place the tray on my lap instead. I rubbed my hands together excitedly, leaning over to kiss him on the cheek. He rolled his eyes, playfully swatting me away. "I'm no five-star chef, keep your expectations appropriately low."

"How long did you spend making all of this?" I questioned, grabbing the fork and digging into the pancake on the top of the stack. A full-body shiver wracked Dan's frame at the question and he shook his head vehemently, reaching over to snag a berry from the little dish of fresh fruit on the side of the tray.

"Let's not talk about that." He insisted, leaning his head on my shoulder. He jabbed a finger into my chest, smiling up at me as I chewed. "Today's about you."

"And what do you have planned, my love?" I asked, twirling my fork between my fingers. Dan shrugged his shoulders, looking sly as he bit his lip.

"We're going out today." He answered vaguely, very clearly teasing me. I eyed him skeptically, taking another bite of pancake into my mouth.

"Where to?" I pressed, nudging my foot against his under the covers. He retaliated immediately, kicking me back and chuckling under his breath. I moved to challenge him again, eager to fall into the familiar play-fighting, only to watch as his hand darted out to keep me from spilling the contents of the coffee mug on the tray. I blushed, having forgotten it was there entirely. Resigning myself to defeat in our short-lived game of footsies, I began to pout.