Chapter Thirty-Nine

warnings: mentions of injury and wounds and general spooks, but nothing more than usual dw

*Dan's POV*

Something told me that, in another life, I would have woken up quite calm and content with the day. In this world, however, that wasn't the case. Instead my first thought of the morning was how very badly I wanted to dismember whoever was pounding their fists against the door to the apartment, with such force that the walls themselves seemed to shake.

I rolled over, determined to ignore it. Anyone that refused to act civil in their methods of getting my attention, probably didn't deserve it anyway.

My plan seemed to be working well, considering the awful racket ceased a minute later. I grinned wickedly, cuddling deeper into the blankets and already feeling myself start to drift off to sleep once again. Perhaps there was a chance of saving my morning after all, if the person decided to simply give up and leave. I could sleep-in, ignore the chill in the air outside the warm confines of my bed, face all my problems in a few hours after a lengthy shower and a cup of hot chocolate.

Maybe I'd make Phil coffee too—in exchange for him making breakfast, of course.

Hm, that'd be nice, I could just picture how grateful he'd be when I sauntered into his bedroom-no, the lounge-and offered him a steaming mug of coffee, just the way he likes it. Maybe he'd pat the cushion beside him and I would sit down, leaving us to both watch through even more episodes of Buffy together in content silence, both leisurely sipping out of our corresponding mugs.

Or, possibly even better than that, he'd set the mug down and pat his lap instead, inviting me to pick things up where we'd left off yesterday. A shiver ran down my spine at the thought and instantly I was certain that that option definitely sounded better. I lifted my hand, absentmindedly grazing my fingertips across the curve of my neck, remembering how it'd felt to have his lips move over the same spot. Soft, but insistent, the memory of that determined unwavering pressure against my skin alone enough to make me sigh.

You know, maybe this morning was shaping up to be a pleasant one after all.

And that was when my phone took to ringing where it rested on the bedside table, an entirely different and unwelcome shiver wracking my frame, one of pure unadulterated irritation. I snatched it up and answered the call, reluctantly resigning myself to the fact my lengthy shower would have to be a cold one.

"Hello?" I snapped, sitting up and swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, a bitter scowl printed formally across my features. I lifted my other hand from where it still rested against my neck, instead using it to brush my hair back out of my eyes.

"Dan." Oddly enough, the voice on the other end of the call somehow managed to sound even more annoyed than I had. I furrowed my eyebrows together, looking around my room absentmindedly, uncertain how to respond to that tone of voice. Naturally, Chris took my silence as his cue to continue the same way he had been. "I've been standing outside knocking on your door for ten fucking minutes, come let me in."

"Alright, alright, sheesh. I just woke up, give me a minute to get changed and-" I rambled halfheartedly, the vaguest feeling of guilt settling in the pit of my stomach now that I was aware of who I'd been ignoring earlier. It wasn't like him to get frustrated with me like this, generally Chris was the most easy going and understanding person in my life. I really didn't like seeing this side of him.

"Now." He ordered, interrupting me in the middle of my nervous stuttering. I froze at that, feeling very indignant. Damn it, was it not obvious that I already felt bad enough? I was stuttering over my words and everything, trying to be as agreeable as possible for his sake, and still he sounded irritable.