EPILOGUE | at peace

•

Jake Fitzgerald never felt peace for Scarlett's death.

He never got to experience a full relationship with the girl before her life was taken from her. He never got to take her on a date. He never got to stare at her for minutes at a time and think, "her. she is the one i am going to marry." He never got to see her no longer fear for her life because someone was trying to kill them all.

He only got to see her break down because her best friends were dying. He got to see her bleeding in his arms. He never got a normal relationship with her.

So what was he supposed to do? Lie to everyone, along with himself, that he was okay? Bullshit, he wasn't okay. He never will be.

He wasn't okay because he saw her wherever he goes. He didn't know if he was really seeing her ghost, or if it was a coping mechanism.

It was making him go insane. The constant, ghostly smile he would see. The small, cold touches when he would feel her hand touch his shoulder or even his own hand. He couldn't help but go insane.

Their other friends were worried for him. They knew that he was seeing her everywhere, they could tell. But, they didn't have the courage to talk to him about it. It was a coping mechanism.

When the news of Cole Warren's death erupted through Lakewood, Jake felt even more broken. He blamed himself for Scarlett's death, so now he felt that Cole's suicide was on his hands.

So, he tried to fix everything he did wrong. He was trying to make amends with Brooke and her father.

But when he was captured by the new killer, he was suddenly scared. He wanted to escape, he was scared of his own death.

But as he hung there, he thought. He really thought. Was it really worth it anymore? To fight? He had really nothing to live for anymore, especially with Scarlett gone.

So, as the killer walked towards him, he fought for a moment, before relaxing for half a second, smiling slightly as he saw Scarlett's face in his mind—and all his pain had suddenly faded away.