SIX | panic

Everybody in school the very next day whispered to each other, the only thing you could hear in the hallways of school were the whispers of students gossiping about Will and Emma

Everybody in school the very next day whispered to each other, the only thing you could hear in the hallways of school were the whispers of students gossiping about Will and Emma. Scarlett didn't actually watch it. When she clicked on the video, she didn't know what was actually going to happen, but she clicked anyways because she's a curious person, but then she realized what it was and she left the video alone, no use in watching it.

Now, there she was sitting in her normal spot in class, ever so glancing at Riley's empty seat. Until, a random girl sat down in that very seat.

"Are you kidding me?" Brooke wonders, turning towards the girl with an annoyed look on her face.

The girl looked at her, very annoyed. "You got a problem?"

"Yeah I do," Brooke nods, as Scarlett glances towards Brooke, before looking at the girl seated in front of her, who was in Riley's seat. "that's Riley's seat. Forever." The girl finally gave up, getting up from the seat and sitting behind Scarlett.

Mr. Branson clears his throat, silencing everyone, "Okay everybody, we are still reeling from Riley's death. But we do have learning to do. Noah, I know you two were partners."

"Yeah, I think I'm just gonna sit this one out." Branson nodded.

Scarlett suddenly zoned out, thinking about Nina and Riley, and everything that's happening. She wondered if she was going to be the last one standing, if she was going to lose everyone she loved, and in that moment she felt the need to cry, but she had to hold it in.

Until, Jake snapped her out of her trance, telling her class was over, as he followed her out of the classroom.

Scarlett suddenly stopped in the hallway, the feeling of fear and anxiety rushing in like a hurricane, as she felt like she couldn't breathe. She looked up at Jake, knowing exactly what was happening, as he was worryingly looking at her.

She gasped, "Jake, I'm having a panic attack."

Jake found the closest empty classroom, rushing her in there and sitting her down on a desk, placing his hands on the sides of her cheeks as she was gasping. "Scar, hey look at me." She looked up at him, panic laced in her features. "Listen to my voice, Scarlett. You're okay, you're safe. Just, hold your breath."

Before she knew it, she was able to hold her breathing, and take regular breaths. As Jake still stood there in front of her. "You haven't had a panic attack in a while."

"Yeah, well everything that's happening around here, I'm shocked I don't get more attacks than usual."

* * *

Scarlett leaned up against the tree as everyone was gathered around for the memorial service for Riley and Nina. She knew she would have to speak for Riley, which was something she didn't want to do, because she didn't want to have a panic attack again.

And, she did it anyways.

"Riley was one of my best friends," she started, her hands shaking from being the center of attention. "she was the first person I met when I moved here. It was in third grade, and I was the most awkward kid ever, I had no friends yet and I didn't feel like I even wanted any at the time, I just wanted to be there. But there Riley was, walking up to me at lunch and sitting across from me, not saying a word. And I asked her why she was sitting with me, and she said. 'because from now on, I will be your best friend, and no one will tear us apart.' And I knew from then on, she was gonna be my best friend."

The tears were flowing from Scarlett's eyes as she got off stage, walking over to where Jake was standing, trying to wipe away all the tears. "You alright, princess?"

"You should really stop calling me that," Scarlett smiled at him, which was shocking to Jake, seeing as she was just crying.

He shrugged, a grin on his face. "No one controls the Jake."