TWELVE | the big finale

•

Scarlett sat next to Audrey, sipping a beer every once in a while. She stared at Jake across the pool, who was sitting next to a girl where a slutty halloween costume.

"Having a tough time there, Scarlett?" Audrey sighed, smiling slightly at the girl in front of her.

"That should be me over there." Scarlett spoke, keeping her eyes on Jake and the girl as they flirted back and forth. "Have you ever gotten something that you have wanted for basically ever, and then you ruin everything?"

Audrey leaned forward a bit, "what's going on between you and Jake?"

Scarlett sighed, before finally peeling her eyes away from Jake and the girl, turning her towards Audrey. "I confessed my love for him. He told me he loved me too. So, we started dating secretly, not wanting to bring attention to ourselves right now. Then, Sam came up to me at the dance, kissed me—and Jake saw. He got pissed, stormed off and said he was coming here. Then I walked up to you, and now we're here."

"Scarlett, that is not your fault. Its all Sam's fault. You need to tell him what happened." Audrey spoke, making Scarlett nod in agreement.

Jake's heart was almost pounding out of his chest, the ache almost killing him. He glanced at Scarlett everyone second, seeing her drinking. He was worried that she would get too drunk, and that she shouldn't be around this time with all the murder happening. "I'll be right back."

Jake stood up and walked into the house, and Scarlett hesitated following him. She watched him pass her, his eyes glancing at her and she could see the pain in his eyes. So, she got up and followed him.

"Jake, stop." She demanded as they stood in the kitchen, alone. Jake stopped, his back facing her as he tried not to turn around, he didn't want to look at her.

But, he turned anyways. "What?"

"Can you just listen to me?"

"Why do I need to listen? I saw you clearly. I know exactly how you feel about me, so why should I listen?"

Scarlett grew angry, staring at him. "Jake! Oh my god, I love you! You know this, so why are you even questioning it? Sam kissed me abruptly! I never would've even talked to him if I knew he was going to do that!"

Jake groaned in frustration, "Scarlett, I just—I can't listen to you right now. I'm sorry."

As he pushed passed her and stormed out, she stared at his back in pain and sorrow. Was she really losing the one she loved over something this stupid?