FIVE | comfort

Scarlett sat on the stairs of the police station, her head in her hands as she cried and cried

Scarlett sat on the stairs of the police station, her head in her hands as she cried and cried. She just lost her best friend.

She could hear Maggie talk to her daughter, but she didn't care. She felt like this was mostly her fault. If she didn't leave Riley on her own, she never would've died, she never would've wandered off on her own.

She could hear Noah yelling, but she could barely hear what he was actually saying, the sound of her sobs were too loud in her own ears.

* * *

Scarlett didn't attend the Town Hall meeting, and all of her friends were going. She just sat in her bed, wondering if she wanted to get up. Her dad was at work, just like he was every single day. He was barely there, but they still love each other so much.

When she looked at the time and realized that the meeting would probably be over, she picked up her phone to call the one person she wanted to talk to.

"Scarlett?" He asked through the phone, as she sighed at the fact that just his voice calmed her down at that moment.

"Jake, are you busy?" She asked as she sniffled, her cries dying down at that moment but the tears never stopped.

She could hear him close his car door, before speaking. "Yeah, I'm not doing anything at this moment. You want me to come over?"

"Please do." She sighed, rolling over onto her side.

"Large Pepperoni and Bacon?" He asks, as if he knew she wanted food, she always complained about not having good food in the house.

"Mhm."

"Alright, cookie dough or cookies and creme? I can never remember." Scarlett laughed slightly at everything he's asking, he was such a good friend.

"Cookie dough please."

"Okay, expect me to be there in twenty minutes."

* * *

"You know, you didn't have to get me pizza and ice cream." Scarlett sighed, sitting down on the stool in the kitchen, leaning her elbows on the island.

Jake shook his head, placing the pepperoni and bacon pizza on the island, before taking the ice cream and putting it in the freezer. "I know that, but I always bring you food when you're upset. When you got in a fight with your dad, when your hamster died, and almost all the time when you're on your period."

"You do bring me food a lot." She chuckled, surprisingly. Jake looked up at her as he finally noticed how upset she really looked. So, he walked around the island and wrapped his arms around her neck, bringing her into a big hug as she wrapped her arms around his waist, placing her head on his chest, and his on the top of her head.

"I'll miss her too." Jake whispers, "but we gotta stay strong for her." Scarlett nodded, tearing up a bit at the thought of Riley.

Jake could hear her sniffle, so he pulled his head away and she looked up at him, before he placed a kiss on her forehead before wiping the tears with his thumbs.

"Thank you, Jake." Scarlett smiles up at him, and he nods at her, a small smile on his face as well. "Alright, let's dig into this pizza before it gets cold."

* * *

short but cute chapter