TEN | prank

"Here's your temporary home for the next few days, it's not as good as your actual room, but it'll do

"Here's your temporary home for the next few days, it's not as good as your actual room, but it'll do."

Scarlett turned around, smiling at Jake. "Thank you, Jake."

He nods, smiling. "You're welcome."

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" She asked, and Jake nodded, as she pulled him over to sit on the bed. "So, you know when we got split up in the bowling alley?"

"Mhm."

"Well, when I found Emma, Brooke, and Noah, they were trying to wake Will up and all of a sudden, I started to think about where you were, and that I left you, and something just snapped inside me, and all of a sudden, I couldn't breathe."

Jake listened, at first wondering why this was so important for her to tell, but he kept listening to her.

"I started to have a panic attack, and I knew it was gonna be hard for me to control my breathing because you weren't there. Until suddenly, it was like you were there, because I thought about you sitting there, comforting me. It sounded like you were there, so it calmed me down."

Jake wondered, where was this going?

"And then when you were in the hospital. I can't even count how many panic attacks I had in there. And thats why I realized I needed to tell you something, before I lose you."

"And what's that?"

"Jake, I'm in love with you."

Jake's eyes widened slightly, as he searched her face to find any sign of her lying. But he couldn't. He thought that Brooke or even Emma put her up to this, to play some sick prank on him.

He stood up, shocking Scarlett. "Did Brooke put you up to this?" He asked, making her confused as she stood up too.

"What? What are you talking about?"

"She wanted you to play so sick joke on me or something like that?"

Scarlett furrowed her eyebrows, confused. "Jake what the hell are you talking about?"

"Let me guess, she told you I loved you and you thought that playing a prank on me was the best idea?"

Scarlett was shocked, but the one thing he said stood out. "You love me?"

"Of course I do." Jake scoffed, as if she should already knew that.

"Jake, why would you think I would be pranking you?" Scarlett stepped a bit closer. "Because, you are literally like my anchor. With my panic attacks, just thinking of you while having an attack, makes me calm down. When I thought you died, I couldn't breathe. Jake I love you so much, and the fact that you don't believe me, pains me."

Jake didn't know what to say, so he closed the space between them, his hands on her face as he lightly kissed her.

They both felt so happy to finally be this close to one another, as they kissed. Jake placed his hands onto her waist, laying her down on the bed.

* * *

Jake and Scarlett laid in bed, her head resting on Jake's bare chest.

"I love you." Jake whispered to her, making her laugh quietly.

"I love you too." She smiled, sighing lightly as she closed her eyes. "Jake?"

"Hm?"

"It wasn't Sam I kissed at the party that day, was it?" She asked, shocking him. He didn't think she was gonna ask that.

"No, it wasn't." He sighed, being caught in a lie.

"Why did you lie for him?" She asked.

"Because I thought, out of all people that should end up with you, it shouldn't be me."

She lifted her head, looking up at him. "Why do you think that?"

"Because you don't deserve someone like me. You deserve someone who can protect you, who will give you everything you need."

"You can protect me, and no, I don't need someone who will give me everything, cause I don't want that. I want someone that I need in my life, and that someone, is you. I need you, not only because I love you, but because you can keep me safe, protect me, and you keep me calm, all at once."