Chapter 11- The Storm

W R E N

Wren could already sense the dark magic fueling the tempest.

Negative energy loomed over the city, the powerful storm blowing away the forces of light. Nothing about the storm was natural, infernal energies coursing through the clouds.

Jupiter shook his head,"Those are not nice lightning bolts. They feel..."

"Bad?" Wren inquired. Jupiter gave a nod.

Callum's expression faltered,"Ben has already started the spell."

* * *

The Black Knight strode through the empty Washington Square Park, every civilian having left the heart of the storm.

Ben's sword was thrusted into the ground behind him, generating a furious beam of crimson light that streamed into the billowing vortex above.

The Black Knight approached the central fountain. With a wave of the scepter, the fountain's water fell, the pool rippling still. The Black Knight stepped into the shallow water, and without a second thought, stabbed the scepter into the center of the large fountain. The Cosmic Egg began to glow with omnipotent power, and the street lamps surrounding the fountain began to explode in sparks.

* * *

"Wren, have you starting controlling the Veil yet?" Kaia asked.

Wren shook her head,"No, this is the Veil itself."

A translucent dome was materializing over New York City, the Veil enshrouding the city in intense magic. Wren could sense multiple layers of mystical energy enveloping the city in waves, weaving and intertwining together to hide magic from the mortal world. Whatever was about to happen, mortals were becoming more and more oblivious to it by the minute.

Ezra stirred the ship between a few skyscrapers, and he soon landed on top of a large building facing Washington Square Park. The Wyvern lowered onto the building's flat roof, the ship hummed softly as it powered down.

"How are we going to do this?" Fletcher asked.

"As a team," Callum said, looking to the beam of hellish red light flowing into the storm,"Wren, Vera, start evacuating. Jupiter, you and me will engage the park directly. The rest of you flank the other entrances, we'll meet in the center at the fountain."

Jupiter held his hand out,"Any of you non-fliers need a ride?"

Callum shook his head, looking down at his hands. He closed his eyes in concentration for a moment before promptly taking off in a sprint. He then jumped off the building. Callum somersaulted through the air during the twelve-story drop, his light magic enveloping his body. He slowed in mid-air, landing on his feet. He grinned to himself, and ran into the park.

Fletcher shook off an awestruck expression, looking to Jupiter,"Since I'm not a superhuman knight with light magic, I'll take you up on that."

Wren flew Vera off the building, headed toward the nearby college. Jupiter and Ezra descended off the building in the air, and Jupiter dropped Fletcher to the ground before giving a smile,"Lighten up, Hood. Literally, you're heavy."