Chapter 15- The Cyclopean

W R E N

Things had gone from bad to worse before the threat of the black hole.

The Fomorians were growing more powerful, and from the portal spawned more monsters than the sentinels could keep down.

The Black Knight had returned to his post at the Scepter of Arawn, and the Cyclopean was guarding the area surrounding Washington Square Park, its lone eye blazing with energy.

Wren turned to the sentinels hunkered down beside her as Ezra made a face,"They're doing what?"

"We're running out of time," Wren explained,"Aegis is about to use the Void to suck Manhattan into a black hole."

Kaia frowned, peeking her head out from behind the overturned bus they were taking cover behind,"How long until the Battle reaches Level 6?"

Ezra looked to his wristwatch device,"The mana levels alone are skyrocketing by the minute. With the portal open, this battle will only get worse, fast."

Jupiter glared at the Cyclopean as it marched down the street,"Well, the only thing standing between us and the Scepter is a temperamental robot with a death ray. I mean, we're so in the clear."

Callum tensed as an explosion rocked the street,"We have to end this battle. Fletcher, Vera, can you help me lead the Cyclopean away?"

Vera and Fletcher gave a nod, and Callum looked to the remaining sentinels,"We'll hold off the Cyclopean. I want the rest you to converge on the Scepter. Together, you should be able to get through the force field." 

The group split up, and Callum hurled his shield down the street, its silver sheen gleaming through the air. The shield struck the back of the Cyclopean, and bounced back to Callum's grasp.

The Cyclopean's head rotated on a mechanical axis to face them, and its orb began to glow brightly.

"Run?" Fletcher inquired. Vera exchanged a glance from Callum before nodding,"Sounds like a plan."

The trio darted down an alley as the Cyclopean fired a destructive beam. The beam roared up the street, explosions consuming the area.

As soon as the towering robot turned off the street, the rest of the sentinels dashed into the park.

The Black Knight looked up from the Scepter, his whispered commands to the Fomorian Army falling silent. He glowered at the group, and held his sword out, shooting a comet of shadowy energy at them.

Wren threw a hand out, and a chunk of earth jutted up in front of them, absorbing the blast.

The Black Knight raised his sword into the air, and from the portal disgorged a mass of darkness greater than any that had came before. The cloud of shadows began to branch out over the city, otherworldly entities beginning to materialize.

Wren's hands glowed with pale light, and the temperature around the team plunged instantaneously to a bitter cold. The ground and surrounding trees frosted over, icicles spiking off the branches. The druidess threw her hands out at the Black Knight, and an icy blast swirled around him, enveloping him in ice. Soon the Black Knight was frozen in place, his sword flickering with dark energy from under the ice.