04 || Tour of the Glade

Your POV:

The Greenie caught your eye and looked you up and down. "I haven't seen any other girls, are you the only one?" He asked, confusion lacing his tone.

"Yep, I came out of the Box two years ago and still we've never had another girl." You shrugged nonchalantly but Newt narrowed his eyes at the Greenie.

"We have four main rules here," he began. "Number one is always do your part, number two is never harm another Glader, number three is NEVER go into the Maze and number four is no one touches Y/N."

The Greenie looked as surprised at the harsh tone in Newt's voice as you felt. "So are you two, you know. . . together?"

You are taken aback by the question but laughed it off all the same. "Oh no, no we're not."

You reached towards the bolt on the door to the Pit. "So Greenie, if I let you out, are you going to try and run again?" He shook his head in response. Satisfied with his answer, you yanked on the bolt and lifted the lid.

Holding your hand out to the Greenie, he took it and you pulled him up from the hole. You tried to pull your hand away but his fingers remained clutched in yours for a fraction of a second longer before he let go. Newt shot the Greenie a furious look.

A frosty silence fell over the group. "So, Greenie, I'll give you the tour," You spoke as cheerfully as possible, trying to break the awkward silence.

You shook your head disbelievingly at your friend, who was still eyeing up the Greenie suspiciously. You took the Greenie by the shoulder and lead him as fast as you could away from Newt. When you were farther away, you began to point out the places in the Glade.

~~~

"Here, in the Glade, we have four main sections: the Homestead, the Gardens, the Blood House and the Deadheads." You gestured to the fields. "Those are the Gardens where we grow our crops." Then you moved your hand to point to where the animals were kept. "Over there is where we raise and slaughter the animals."

You nodded to the massive wooden structure that was your home. "There is the Homestead and finally. . ." You pointed once more to the forest. "There we have the Deadheads, just a massive forest and the graveyard's back in the corner. Got it?" The Greenie nodded.

"Tomorrow we'll try you out for different jobs," You continued, "There's Sloppers, Baggers, Slicers, Builders, Track-Hoes, you get the idea. Something'll stick, always does."

"So what job do you do?" The Greenie questioned, genuinely interested.

"I'm a Runner," You replied with slight hesitation. You were often discouraged from telling the Greenies about the Maze so soon but you had the strangest feeling that the boy in front of you could handle it.

"A Runner? What do you do?"

"We run the Maze, mapping it, trying to find a way out."

The Greenie furrowed his brow. "Maze?" He asked, confused.

"That's what's behind those walls, a Maze." You gestured wildly around at the stone walls which enclosed you. "Me and a couple of other Runners run it each day trying to find a way out of this place."

He nodded seriously. "How can I become one?"

You snorted in disbelief and laughter. "Do you have a death wish Greenie? Only the best of the best can become a Runner. Besides, that ain't bloody half of it."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean the Grievers; nasty little buggers that inhabit the Maze. If you get stung by one, you die unless you receive the Grief Serum. Then you go through the Changing which you don't want to see, trust me."

~~~

Thanks for reading another chapter!

Please vote, comment and follow.

Thanks,
~Hellz-Yeah