Chapter 11: Anger

Disclaimer: I do not own Beetlejuice or related characters, he belongs to Tim Burton. I do not own Beetlegeuse. I don't own Betelgeuse? I don't own any of the weird spellings for his name.

Betelgeuse?

Written By: Melanie Ray

Chapter Seven: Once Upon a Beetle Bottle

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Living World/Living Room Stairwell...

Mr. Beetleman started to stroll down the steps. First, he'd have to talk to Lydia's dad. He had taken the change in behavior bad. Then, on to her friends. Delia seemed fine, he probably wouldn't have to talk to her. Is there anyone else? He tried to think as he walked down. That demon had really messed up her reputation. There was no way he'd let Lyd stay so glum about everything. All she needed was some backup, and she'd be back to her old self. "Hey, Mr. Deetz."

Charles Deetz was sitting in his chair. He didn't look conversational. "Beetleman."

Mr. Beetleman strolled over and took a seat on the chair's arm next to him. "It'll be alright Mr. Deetz. Lydia's back to her old self. Can't you cut her a break?"

"Cut her a break?" Charles held his fingers up in the air, ticking off the offenses. "She ignored me. She ignored Delia. She ignored curfew. She hurt her old friends. She cared more about makeup than humanity. She changed into a selfish and mean person." He pointed to himself. "And I forgave that. I dealt with all of that. Lydia is my little girl, but . . . this?"

Mr. Beetleman raised an eyebrow. He had a feeling he was still missing some pieces. "You accepted all that? Then what's with the frown?"

"What?" Charles growled. "Am I supposed to follow professional advice again? Am I just supposed to support her with kind words and let her hurtle through this change. Huh?"

"Well, understanding it happens?" Mr. Beetleman stood up. "She's still a teen, Mr. Deetz. She makes mistakes." Apparently a gigantic one. "Things could always be worse."

Charles just glared at him. "Mistake? Teens make mistakes?" He stood up himself. "Why are you so supportive?" He raised his own eyebrow. "Mr. Handy Dandy repair man. How old are you?"

Mr. Beetleman blinked. What did his age have to do with anything? "My age?" He couldn't describe exactly the peculiar look he was being given. It was as if Lydia's dad was thinking he was responsible for whatever happened.

"How old are you?" Charles asked firmer. "Why did you disappear, then suddenly reappear the very day we find out this news?"

Mr. Beetleman started to back up. "Mr. Deetz? Get a hold of yourself. This isn't like you at all." He looked over Charles over and over and sensed no demon possessing him. But, the man was acting so bizarre. Too bizarre. Way bizarre. Babe, what really happened around here? What has she not told me?

"Charles!" Delia came into the room with her hands waving in the air. "You know very well Mr. Beetleman could never be a part of this. Control yourself."

Charles seemed to be quiet for a minute before he sighed. "You're right, Delia. I'm sorry for losing it, Beetleman. I haven't been myself since this whole tragedy."

"Hey, no problem." Mr. Beetleman smiled. At least the guy was finally calming down.

"I just. I don't know how to take it." Charles started to sit back down. "Do we punish her? Do we support her? What's right and what's wrong?"

"She knows what she did," Delia said softly as she came over to her husband. "Charles, Lydia is taking responsibility for it. She didn't try to hide it, so, she really needs support. Especially from you." She turned and smiled at Mr. Beetleman. "I'm glad to see you're so supportive."

"Completely." Mr. Beetleman pointed to himself. "She just got a little mixed up."

"It was a phase, Charles." Delia said with a sad smile. "This one just left a . . . tangible mark."

Mr. Beetleman looked over at Delia. Tangible mark? That demon left a mark? What kind of mark?

Charles slowly nodded at Delia. "I know." He reached for her hand and gently patted it. "I have to be an understanding dad and..." he groaned as he let her hand go. "Grandpa."

"A . . . grandwha?" Mr. Beetleman looked puzzled.

"I know. Grandma Delia is not what I was expecting so soon either," Delia replied to Charles.

Grandma?! Mr. Beetleman stayed still. It couldn't be. "Yeah, the baby. Is a surprise?"

"Too young. Lydia is just too young." Charles frowned. "A mother at eighteen?"

" . . . "

"I know, but it will be fine. Lydia's gone back to her old self," Delia smiled. "I know she'll never return to that 'other' self again. And, even though she is young, I'm sure she'll be a good mother."

" . . . "

"That may be." Charles placed his hands on his knees and leaned back even further. "I don't know. I can't deal with this yet." He got up and started to head out.

" . . ."

"Charles, no more drinking," Delia yelled out after him. "You know you're not that used to it."

" . . ."

Charles stopped. He knew Delia was right and he'd already gone over his usual limit of well, one. It was just so hard to deal with. His baby was having a baby. He turned and started to head to his room. "I'm going to lie down."

" . . . "

Delia nodded her head at him. She looked over at Mr. Beetleman. He seemed troubled. "Mr. Beetleman?"

Mr. Beetleman did not answer. He walked away from the living room. He continued to walk to the front door and without a word he opened it and went through. He walked down the front steps and went passed the driveway.

He continued to walk down the street. "Babes?" He choked. He just couldn't believe it! "My Babes?" Mr. Beetleman snapped his fingers and turned back to his original black and white striped suit. He didn't give a damn if anyone saw him change into his old neitherworld suit.

"My Babes?!" Beetlejuice screamed as he walked down the street. A few windows were starting to crack in other people's houses as he marched along. "That...that...that scum!" He heard someone yell in surprise when their front window busted out. He was getting wet from the nearby fire hydrants, but he still didn't care. His feet melted the asphalt into soft rubber.

He understood now. Why Charles was so upset. Why Lydia was so terrified to tell him anything. While being possessed, she had become pregnant. He was so mad he couldn't even see straight. All he could was the color red in his vision.

He didn't care about people's strange stares. He didn't care about the cats and dogs barking around him. He didn't care about the sound of police sirens. He didn't care about any of that. His friend. His best friend had been manipulated so much, she became pregnant.

Beetlejuice pulled up his sleeves. I'll make sure Lyd is okay. She and her . . . baby . . .will be fine. The phrase just didn't sound right. I'll make sure she's safe and sound, and once I feel confident she is. "I'll find that demon and make it regret ever laying a hand on her!"

No way. Whether it came back or not, once Lydia was safe and secure, he'd hunt it down if he had to. Even if it meant a trip from the friendliness of the neitherworld into the torment of hell itself. Demon or not, he'd risk his life to make sure it never hurt her again.

Until then though...

Beetlejuice stopped. Now wasn't the time for this. People were getting suspicious of him, and police were getting out of their cars. He had to stay by Lyd's side and make sure she was fine. He snapped his fingers and disappeared. People could believe they saw a powerful ghost if they wanted to.

They practically did.