Chapter 25: No More Pretending

Vernie went back to check on the Roadhouse again, but he doubted Beetlejuice was gone. He didn't even bother knocking, just looking in the window. The WDP's had a similar spell cast on him so he couldn't leave, but it probably wasn't necessary. He was following Lydia's wishes.

He wasn't the greatest guy who ever lived. There were plenty of people Vernie felt more compassion for, but for some reason. Ah, he couldn't shake it. As annoying as it had been, he couldn't help feeling . . . something . . .

For the little demon tortured by him daily. Out of hell, that thing had no chance against BJ. Taking his full juice back, he made sure that little tricky devil got everything he deserved. He demanded the roadhouse be cleaned from top to bottom, just to make it dirty again. He used it as a footstool. He punted it. He even caught him using it as a chair.

He was putting every ounce of his frustration into the little vermin. Okay, it was from hell. Yes, it was trying to take everything over, which is why they agreed to let him have the little thing for now. It helped keep him in control again, to have something to push his frustrations out on. Plus, no one had to babysit it while they went through legal procedures.

But honestly, that little demon was no different than any other hell demon that had somehow gained information he shouldn't have. Speaking of which, maybe today was the day he should take it back to hell to be dealt with by its creator. The papers were all in order now, it's just no one really wanted to mess with BJ right now.

He was bad when he was up in everyone's faces, but when he stayed away . . . stayed away, and was only seen in the dark confines of his home. It felt eerie.

He sighed and knocked on the door. As expected, the little demon answered it. "You ready to go back?"

"No!" It shouted. "Just let me stay here and get pummeled by Beetlejuice," He chuckled. "Just desserts?"

Yeah, of course it would say that. Beetlejuice couldn't dish the kind of punishment that things boss would do.

"It'll never have enough."

Yes, that was that eerie feeling. Vernie looked around the corner. No lights were on at all. Only one open window, so that the WDP could look in on him, and he wouldn't have to answer the door. He wasn't looking Vernie in the face, he was just a dark silhouette by a wall. "It's time to send it back, Beetlejuice."

"You said it once. Don't say it twice. Oh yeah, I forgot. Doesn't matter." At another time, Vernie knew he'd probably say that statement with happiness. Instead, he just continued to stare at the ground. A beetle ran across his foot, and he didn't even flinch to get it. "You decide about it yet?"

Ah, Benny's part of the soul. The split reincarnation. "He wouldn't retain any memories, and he would stay far away from Lydia Deetz."

Beetlejuice didn't answer.

"The neitherworld doesn't believe you should fracture yourself again. You could rebutt against it though, it is your right considering you are still technically alive."

"Nah."

Yeah, Vernie had a feeling he would say that. The fight in Beetlejuice, it wasn't as strong as it used to be. "You could punish him for a hundred years, and it still won't do what his master would do in hell for him."

"Hm. Can I get photos?" The words portrayed a joke, but they were just words with no substance. No emotion was put into it.

"W-wait!" the little demon jumped up and down. "I'm not ready yet. Background checking, yeah. Missing culprits. The WDP ruse guy, you said you never found him. Too many strings!"