Chapter 8

In P.E. they played volleyball, and Charlotte was on a team with two people she'd never spoken to and wasn't planning on in the future. They stood on the sidelines watching Raelynn's group defeat team after team until it was their turn.

Charlotte tossed the ball over the net for her serve. A guy bumped it up to Raelynn who set it to her athletic teammate. The thought running through Charlotte's mind was, Who even tries in P.E.?

Her team somehow managed to return the ball over the net, and Raelynn jumped, the side of her fist contacting the ball. It spiraled towards Charlotte's face. She shot her arms up to protect herself, but it was no use; the ball had already connected with her nose.

She clutched her face and dropped to her knees as her eyes watered. Her nose gushed blood.

"Is she crying?" someone asked not too quietly.

Charlotte's team groaned and muttered to each other about how worthless she was. The other onlookers were hiding their laughter.

The teacher guided Charlotte to her feet. She pointed at Sam and told her to escort her to the bathroom.

"That was embarrassing," remarked Charlotte once they were in the hallway.

"What's embarrassing is how hard they were trying. Like it's literally just PE, calm down."

Blood trickled down Charlotte's throat when she laughed.

In the bathroom, Sam helped her wad up paper towels for the Amazon River flowing out of her nose. Her friend grabbed another paper towel and wet it for her blood-stained hands. "Or you could just chase Raelynn around school with your bloody hands." Sam shrugged. "It's up to you."

Her voice was stuffy when she replied, "That sounds tempting, but I think I'm gonna have to go with the paper towel."

Sam leaned against the sink next to her and checked the time. She cursed. "The period's almost over and I have a Spanish test seventh that I have not studied for. Do you think you'll be okay?"

She nodded. "Go ahead." She gagged against the small trickle of blood that seeped down her throat.

Charlotte listened to her retreating footsteps and missed the company. She threw away the bloody paper towel in favor of a clean one. When she pulled it away from her nose, blood speckled the brown material. She waited another minute before heading back to the gym, wishing the period would end already. 

As she turned the corner, she ran smack into someone's chest. 

"I'm sor—" Her breath caught in her throat. Anthony's hands gripped her forearms as he helped steady her.

Her skin tingled where it touched his. She brushed a piece of hair behind her ear. Then she noticed the blood on his shirt. 

"Oh, God. I'm so sorry," she apologized, wiping off the blood.

He laughed. "It's not a big deal." The amusement on his face was replaced with concern. "What happened?"

"Raelynn drilled me in the face," she replied casually. "Shouldn't you be in class?"

He grinned wolfishly. "I asked Mr. Klein if I could go to the bathroom at the beginning of study hall and have been wandering around ever since." His worry returned. "Let me take you back."

Charlotte doubted the rumors she'd heard for a moment before accepting that she only wanted them to be false. "Okay."

His hand burned on her back as he escorted her to the gym. The locker room seemed so far away.